Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Gen 3 G23 Ejection denting 357 Sig brass

Lone Wolf barrel meant for G32, fits G23 too. Very accurate. First two shots went into the center of the bull at 15 yards, then changed and settled into grouping just under the bull. Not alarmed at this...the barrel seated into the lock and slide relationships.

Recovered all brass to study them and found all have an identical dent at 3:30, carrot-shaped, parallel scrapes at about 15 degrees, top of carrot extends slightly into the lower rim of the shoulder and is about .110' long down the side of the brass.

Looks like brass is contacting something as it ejects, and it looks like it is the rail portion of the slide. In other words, it is angling against the lower part of the ejection port on its way out.

Anyone have this experience and know the cause and cure?

Meanwhile, I have sent info to Wolf including 3 photos of the dent.
    Last edited by Bang; July 27th, 2016 at 01:19 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gen 3 G23 Ejection denting 357 Sig brass

I see 40 looked at my post. Thanks for looking
    LOL

(Berks County)

check the extractor. with the pistol stripped down, slide a case under the extractor.

it should go in place and hold the round even when the slide is shaken. If this is not what is happening then its either new extractor time or fit the one you have.

hope this helps.
    gotta love her ;)

When the .40 to 9mm conversion is done most recommend changing the extractor over to one that's in 9mm spec. This maybe your problem it will function but wont be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    check the extractor. with the pistol stripped down, slide a case under the extractor.

it should go in place and hold the round even when the slide is shaken. If this is not what is happening then its either new extractor time or fit the one you have.

hope this helps.

I think you are 100% right.

(Bucks County)

This caliber .40 S&W 3rd generation Glock 23 has the 1882 ejector, correct for the year and both .40 and .357 Sig calibers and an extractor that goes with either caliber. Although I have fired hundreds of 9mm thru a 9mm LWD conversion barrel in it with no failures, I have never changed the extractor to accommodate 9mm ammo.

The extractor is perfect as is the spring that loads it. I tried the hold test and it holds an unfired cartridge well, so will handle an empty with ease. The extraction shows evidence of being quite robust, the dent from the ejector upon the head is considerable.

From the dent on the side of the brass near the shoulder, it appears that the ejector is sending the brass out at an angle horizontal to the ground, instead of at a slight upward rise that would clear the lower ledge of the ejection port.

This ejection angle can be influenced by the configuration and tightness of the extractor and/or where on the head the ejector makes contact. The top of the ejector is about level with the bottom of the extractor, which is the relationship one would expect to produce an upward angle to path of the ejected shell.

Being a reloader, I noticed that the dented brass would be less than desirable if I get into reloading the 357 Sig cartridge. Probably not a deal breaker, but not sure what problems it might produce.

(Franklin County)

I also reload and the .357 sig is a bottle necked cartridge. I believe the dents won't affect the reloading process at all. The only problem will be the necks splitting after a number of reloadings. Someone once gave me several hundred once fired .243 casings that their rifle dented(Win. model 100). After reloading them 4 times, I noticed the necks splitting more frequently than the same caliber fired from my bolt action. I am sure their is a scientific explanation, but I am not learned enough to know it. Good luck and good shooting.

(Bucks County)

357 Sig is very shoulder-sensitive since (SAAMI and inventor notwithstanding) it headspaces on the shoulder. That's concern 1. Concern 2 is what may be a weakened area in the brass. If it doesn't interfere with headspace and fire-forms back out against the chamber wall, it will probably be ok but I would expect less reloads from such brass. Thanks. :-)

Let me guess your Gen3 is a later Gen3? I have the dents from 2 of my Gen3 Glocks, the older Gen3 Glock (made around 04') doesn't dent. I figure it is the MIM extractor in the newer versions is the issue vs the machined extractor on the older Glock. I have brass with over 6 loadings already and it is still good. The dings don't really mean a whole lot. It isn't the barrels fault. It can happen with .40 and 9 too. I have really only had necks split on .357sig brass when going through the expander (flare) die. None of the splits were close to the shoulder.
    Last edited by dkf; July 29th, 2016 at 10:05 PM.

(Bucks County)

Wow. Totally forgot about this thread. Thanks for the responses. According to the serial number, my Gen 3 was made in November 2004. These were police trades, so who knows what an armorer may have done. Plus, the barrel is a Wolf...not OEM Glock. The brass that dented was Sig Sauer Elite 125gr FMJ (or TMJ).
    Maybe my own recipe will act differently.

Anyhoo....I just recently bought the die set and 200 Starline brass. 500 of 124gr plated flat points due to arrive tomorrow. Bought Power Pistol propellant.

I sized the dented brass and they pass the plunk test. Time will tell the full tale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast