Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default PA DCNR pisses me off

I just started a new job working in downtown Pittsburgh. I park in the north side at the stadiums. I walk across the Fort Duquesne bridge, which starts in Point State Park, in which firearms are prohibited. The park and walkway are isolated, and frequently deserted - especially after 6pm.
    It is a major inconvenience to walk all the way down to the Roberto Clemente bridge and around to the Heinz field lots every morning and every night just so I don't break a stupid law.
    I have no point here, I just needed to vent.

(York County)

Talking Re: PA DCNR pisses me off

Yeah whacha goin' do.....The big question is....do you feel better now?-BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA DCNR pisses me off

If it's so far out of your way to walk down to the 6th street bridge, then... Don't.

Now, I'm not advising breaking the law here, but lets look at this realistically:

1) Concealed means Concealed. Unless you are OC'ing, no one is supposed to know you have a weapon.

2) How often have you seen a DCNR official on that walkway? I doubt ever. The park is patrolled by Pittsburgh Police, and I doubt they'd give 2 craps about you carrying along those walkways, since you are just passing through.

3) "Better to be Judged by 12 then Carried by 6" is a phrase you hear floating around gun forums all the time, and I, personally, believe that it's true. That is a fairly secluded area down there, and I wouldn't want to be there alone and unarmed... nor would I want to walk around Downtown unarmed.

But again, use your own judgment. Like I said, I'm not advocating you break any laws

(Chester County)

017 Pa Code§ 11.215. Weapons and hunting.
    The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department:

(4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence, or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer. [(2) refers to hunting, (7) to target shooting]

Maybe if a large number of us applied for written 'permission' from the Deaprtment swamping their system, maybe they would see the error of their ways regarding carrying in state parks. Even if they had to continually reply with rejection letters, it will eventually come to the attention of the policy makers when they have to start paying OT or other work isn't getting done.

You can do this while awaiting the outcome of pending legislation.

(Allegheny County)

You can carry in a national park if you are just traveling through it, I take it there is no similar exception for state parks?

(Indiana County)

No, you cannot carry in a National Park if you're just passing through. Ask the Virginians who've been busted for driving on Skyline Drive while carrying.

No exceptions, National Parks or State Parks, yet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gander215 View Post
    Yeah whacha goin' do.....The big question is....do you feel better now?-BB
    I do feel better! At the current cost of a stamp though, I just might send a weekly letter to the DCNR asking permission. It might take a couple years, but eventually, someone will get enough of a laugh out of it over there that they jsut might grant permission.

(Armstrong County)

Let us know when you do with a copy of the letter and we can hit them with the letters all at once, it may help of get them to see the light sooner!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Monroe County)

I wish i could OC/CC in national/state parks. First off, It's not so much me being worried about the predators lurking about than the humans with bad intent doing the same thing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I just started a new job working in downtown Pittsburgh. I park in the north side at the stadiums. I walk across the Fort Duquesne bridge, which starts in Point State Park, in which firearms are prohibited. The park and walkway are isolated, and frequently deserted - especially after 6pm.
    It is a major inconvenience to walk all the way down to the Roberto Clemente bridge and around to the Heinz field lots every morning and every night just so I don't break a stupid law.
    I have no point here, I just needed to vent.
    Well the fix to your DCNR problem is out there, its attached a amendment to HB1845.

Is it worth it to you to write ALL 50 state senators a letter urging them to pass HB 1845?

Its supposed to be coming up for a vote in early Sept 08, IF WE gun owners fail to get this Pro-Gun language passed now, expect the next chance to get this passed in 2010 (all bills die at end of this session).

So I suggest you and everyone else that don't like the DCNR regulating your firearms against state law to make phone calls, write letters, or email ALL 50 senators, or do nothing and deal with the problem.

Read more info on HB 1845 here.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...ng-hb1845.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast