Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Bad Weather Preparedness

After seeing vehicles stranded on 78 and 81, I am curious to see what people carry in there vehicles in case of emergency. I carry warm clothes, flares, a few candles, just basic stuff. A lot of these people stranded had nothing but the clothes on there backs. What do you all carry on board?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Bad Weather Preparedness

i recently took some stuff out to clean out my car but i can tell you what im putting back in tonight before i travel.....water, 2 or 3 mres, blanket, extra coat gloves ext, lighter fluid and lighter, flashlight with batteries, and one of the new things i came across........a copule of those chaffing cans, they burn at 400F for bout 2-3 hours each.....at last resort that should keep the inside of your car liveable.....as always i carry my steyr m9 and my sog powerlock.....im sure theres somethings i have in my tub that i forgot to mention

(York County)

In my truck i carry a few tools, jumper cables, Tow strap, 12V air compressor, jacket, gloves and some clothes ( in case i sleep over, not really for warmth) a multi tool, gum and the regular stuff i carry on my person.

If i plan on taking a longer trip than i regularly drive, then i might take other stuff depending on when and where I'm going.

(Allegheny County)

I drive a Chevy 4x4...

No need to concern myself with breaking down, getting stuck in the snow or even nuclear holocaust.

Actually, I always have gloves (throw in boots if going long distance), hand warmers (small and provide warmth for hours), matches, travel size roll of Charmin TP (), old comforter (doubles as padding in bed when hauling), rope, assorted small tools, tape (a real man should never, EVER be without Duct Tape!), a funnel (ever try pouring gas from one of those F-ing new enviro-weenie gas cans? MOTHER EFFING SUMINNA BEECH! I've SPILLED MORE GAS with those things than... deep breath... OK calm down... sorry, but those cans get me royally PO'd!), Flashlight (self powered, wind-up), Spotlight/flasher light, reflective folding triangle, and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting.
    After seeing the news report, perhaps some granola bars would be a good idea too. (I get crabby when I'm hungry and you wouldn't want to be stuck with me for long! )

My wife's car stays closer to home so the list includes less of the above, but since her battery is older, the portable "jumper"-power source gadget goes with her. I highly recommend one if you question the reliability of your battery.
    One day my truck battery was dead and the truck was blocking the car in the garage... with no way to push the truck out of the way, I was able to jump it with that thing, saving much aggravation and perhaps a fee to have it jumped.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

In addition to most of the items already mentioned, I carry a shovel and a bag of salt.

(Adams County)

First of all-- never travel with bad weather coming--Rule #1- Know-before you Go! And call the location of choice to ascertain current weather conditions.
    I carry in my all my vehicle at all times the following. Large First Aid tackle box, for mass casualties, tow rope and chain . Insulated jump suit and wool cap. 3-4 solar disposable foil blankets, flares, snow chains, shovel, axe, tool kit,BOY Scout Knife and can opener, flashlight with 4 extra batteries, Searchlight. plug in type / battery powered, food stuffs, orange trail marker tape==for the car antenna.. 3 maps ... full tank of gas, 3 gallons of fresh water and thermos of coffee (winter) ice in summer , and explicit instructions on my route of travel as well as alternate. And my insulated waterproof boots and gloves. Fits all within a standard plastic tote box

(Allegheny County)

i carrry water
    fix a flat
    a bedroll
    a backpack with a change of clothes, spare contacts, rain gear, and boots
    jumper cables
    multi tool
    flashlight
    flares
    roll of paper towels
    handheld gps loaded with full topo and routable road maps
    small first aid kit

(Montgomery County)

Alot of good ideas everyone has, just a few items that I have found to be handy. If you don't have alot of room for blankets, a mylar "space blanket" is perfect, they are cheap (@$2.00 - $3.00 apiece). In the summer carry water, in the winter where the water will freeze and be of no help, carry bottles of Gatorade or one of the other electrolytic restoring drinks, the freezing point of those drinks is much lower that that of water.

Just a quick post...don't have time for a full inventory printout, but the five things almost always in my truck:
    • Plastic water bottle, opened or new (doesn't matter as long as it's drinkable)
    • Energy bars, usually Hoo-ah bars as found in Acme & elsewhere
    • Tuna & chicken fillets in foil packets, non-perishable, similar to MRE packaging
    • MRE water activated heaters for heating tuna & chicken packs
    • Vitamin water bottles, minimum 2.
    Basically 2-3 days rations for high mobility (standard configuration), Minimum 2 week rations if I'm too far away from home or civilization to walk back. I also avoid areas where I'll be incommunicado.

And the usual jumper cables, spare tire & jack, cell phone, cigars, limb saw, flashlights, tools, extra petty cash for emergency coffee, vehicle-mounted GPS -and- handheld GPS, etc.

And, select the smallest & lightest tool that will do an adequate job. The extra mass causes your vehicle to burn more fuel.

Use your imagination...

(Cambria County)

In my truck I carry the usual spare tire, jack/crowbar, flashlight with spare batteries; windup flashlight/siren/compass jobbie in the glovebox, another cell phone, emergency rain poncho, another rain suit, fleece-lined suede gloves (big, that will either fit over my hands in gloves or a guy's hands), collapsible snow shovel, military-style folding shovel in case; assorted bungee cords, mylar "space" blankets, several hand/body warmers, fleece blanket, first aid kit, Kahr PM9 with extra magazine, a couple of 20-oz bottles of water, and in the emergency backpack, there are more emergency water rations; emergency food bars; MREs; another (big) flashlight; 3 chemical lightsticks; radio with batteries; big honkin' survival knife with cable saw, compass, whetstone, matches, and emergency fishing kit; flare launcher with 6 flares, 3 handheld flares; another mylar space blanket; a "fire pack" with an emergency cooker with extra fuel tablets; matches; magnesium firestarter, 6 candles; TP; a "sanitation pack" with tissues, "feminine" wipes, some "pantiliners" (hey, I'm a GIRL!) travel-sized toothpaste and toothbrush, dental floss, hotel-sized soap, packet of Tide); and a "beverage pack" with 10 bouillon cubes, instant coffee, sugar, creamer, and crystal light "hydration" formula. Everything fits behind the back seat, or in the glove box, with the exception of the water which is in the back seat cupholders, the Kahr (which is in a safe box) and the cell phone, which stays with me.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast