Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default blaze pink?! NY ok

Uganwa will be right at home now in NY.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/artic...of-8404429.php

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York has authorized fluorescent pink as alternate protective coloring for young hunters in an appeal to girls who'd rather not wear blaze orange.

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the law this week making solid or patterned pink optional for the typical fluorescent orange worn by hunters. The bright colors help them avoid being mistaken for game and shot.

Either color is required in New York for licensed deer or bear hunters who are 14 or 15 years old and their accompanying adults. Until now, at least half their garments above the waist had to be fluorescent orange and visible from all directions, amounting to at least 250 square inches.
    According to legislative sponsors, they're trying to reverse the statewide decline in hunting and fishing and trying to encourage the small but growing segment of female hunters. They cited a University of Wisconsin study indicating the human eye picks up fluorescent or blaze pink even more distinctly than orange.

"I hope it does encourage the younger generation to get away from their cellphone and Pokemon Go," said John Havlick, owner of Frank's Gun and Tackle in Gloversville, near the southern edge of New York's Adirondack Mountains. Lowering the age where children can go hunting with an adult, like several other states, would probably do more to reverse the decline, he said.

Havlick also questioned whether pink gear will become popular with women who wear orange to hunt. "They just want to blend in with everyone else," he said.

New York doesn't require the bright colors for its adult hunters, though the Department of Environmental Conservation said that more than 80 percent of the state's big game hunters, as well as two-thirds of its small game hunters, wear the orange. They are seven times less likely to be shot, the agency said.

Wisconsin approved the pink option for its required hunting wear earlier this year. Colorado followed.

Deer don't see color the same way that humans do. According to wildlife officials, deer lack red-sensitive cone cells in their eyes and can't tell red or orange from green and brown
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Default Re: blaze pink?! NY ok

Personally, I think that it's agood thing. For one, if it gets more girls in the field, good!

Working in the woods with survey ribbon, there are times during the fall when flo orange is harder to differentiate from background orange in the canopy. I've been using flo pink flagging exclusively for 20 years just because I can find it more easily than any other color. Flo yellow like highway crews use would be good as well.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Personally, I think that it's agood thing. For one, if it gets more girls in the field, good!

Working in the woods with survey ribbon, there are times during the fall when flo orange is harder to differentiate from background orange in the canopy. I've been using flo pink flagging exclusively for 20 years just because I can find it more easily than any other color. Flo yellow like highway crews use would be good as well.
    You'd be surprised how well the yellow blends in with the foliage at times. Like you, pink ribbon has been our go to color for year around use for years now.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Monroe County)

Jokes aside. I don't see why not. It will sick out, yes the deer don't care if anything they stare longer trying to figure out WTF is up with that strange color.

Though we will need to come up with some new sayings.

Instead of a area full of hunters being called a pumpkin patch it can be a MLP convention.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    You'd be surprised how well the yellow blends in with the foliage at times. Like you, pink ribbon has been our go to color for year around use for years now.
    Depending on the season, I completely understand how well it would blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Jokes aside. I don't see why not. It will sick out, yes the deer don't care if anything they stare longer trying to figure out WTF is up with that strange color.

Though we will need to come up with some new sayings.

Instead of a area full of hunters being called a pumpkin patch it can be a MLP convention.

Just one more reason to join Pink Pistols.

As far as deer go, the pink would just be a different shade of gray. But then again, I've had turkey, which do have color vision, walk right up to me while wearing flo orange. Unfortunately, it wasn't turkey season.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus