Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default PA Sportsman Permit to carry Firearms.

I go fishing sometimes with my dad and would like to apply for a sportsman permit. I know the LTCF is better, but I don't think I can get that being a part time PA resident. I do have a home in PA but work in NY with a NY driver license. I have 2 questions about this sportsman permit.

1, For the application should I use my NY address on my NY driver license or can I use my PA address for my PA home? I'd rather use my PA address

2, While driving to and from the place of fishing, can I carry a loaded pistol in the glove compartment of my car or carry the pistol concealed or openly on my belt? Also while I'm walking to the place of fishing or while I'm actually fishing can I conceal the gun?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: PA Sportsman Permit to carry Firearms.

1. You should use your actual residence - your lawful place of abode where you are registered to vote, where your ID says you're from, etc.
    2. Yes.

With a Sportsmans Permit you can carry openly or concealed, on your person or elsewhere invehicle, loaded or unloaded, when going to/from a fishing spot. You need to make your trips directly to/from your place of stay and you fishing destination. However, if you have your NYS pistol permit, it is valid in a vehicle just the same as a PA LTCF. Which brings me to the question - will you be bringing your own handgun from NY?

Hunting laws work slightly different in a vehicle due to the Game Laws. PA's fishing and hunting laws are differing chapters, so what the "Game Laws" require do not affect fishing activities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

I don't have any NYS pistol permit. The pistol is here at my PA home. The gun doesn't leave PA. I wanted to use my PA address for the application cause it's the house where I'm staying at 2-4 days out the week, so NY address or PA address doesn't matter right.
    Last edited by Will3212; October 1st, 2015 at 11:33 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

You will need to bring a PA Hunting or Fishing License with you so what ever address you use on those you will have to use on the sportsmans license.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    1. You should use your actual residence - your lawful place of abode where you are registered to vote, where your ID says you're from, etc.
    2. Yes.

With a Sportsmans Permit you can carry openly or concealed, on your person or elsewhere invehicle, loaded or unloaded, when going to/from a fishing spot. You need to make .
    That is incorrect

Check out digest pg 17 " firearms-handguns" paragraph.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Juniata County)

PA has a pretty lacking defination of what a resident is. I would take proof of your living here, regardless of anything else & get the LTCF. After all, the pistol lives here.

(Not legal advice, just want I would do).
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    That is incorrect

I presume that you are referring to the 2015-16 Hunting & Trapping Digest ???

If so, the referenced paragraph:

Sportsmans Permit.JPG

What is incorrect in knight's post since the topic is restricted to "fishing" activities??? As he aptly said:

Hunting laws work slightly different in a vehicle due to the Game Laws. PA's fishing and hunting laws are differing chapters, so what the "Game Laws" require do not affect fishing activities.
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

The last sentence "Sportsmans Permit many not carry concealed handgun or loaded handgun in a vehicle"
    -vs- what he said-
    Sportsmans Permit you can carry openly or concealed, on your person or elsewhere invehicle, loaded or unloaded,
    Fishing or hunting or what ever no CC at all and no loaded in a car.
    Thanks I could not get it to cut and paste.

Now if you have a full LTCF you can.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; October 2nd, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    That is incorrect

I will bet you a box of 9mm ammo that I'm correct.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

The Sportsmans Permits is in fact a permit to carry concealed or in a vehicle during or going to/from the sporting locations. The Hunting & Trapping Digest is WRONG. So is the page on the PSP's website.

A person does not need a permit or stamp to hunt with a handgun in PA - it is a lawful device under the game laws. If you carry openly on foot, and outside of certain game seasons(archery, muzzleloader, etc) - you don't need a permit whatsoever. What is regulated is how you carry it, during certain seasons while hunting within those seasons, and vehicle carry.

PA isn't like WV and other states where you need a permit or special stamp to hunt with a handgun. ...manually operated handguns are already lawful devices. But if you intend to conceal the gun, transport it in a vehicle, or carry during a specially regulated season where firearms, or certain types of firearms are prohibited - you'll need a Sportsmans Permit or a LTCF.

The regulated act is concealment and vehicle carry, period. 18.61.6106(a).

(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Under 18.61.6106(b)(9) and (10) - a person is exempt of the concealment and vehicle carry prohibition of 6106(a).

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    (10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.
    But in order for (9) and (10) to qualify they must have a Sportsmans Permit:

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.--
    (1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.
    (2) Any person who sells or attempts to sell a sportsman's firearm permit for a fee in excess of that amount fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast