Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Deer/Bear rifle under $500

Trying to help a friend pick a rifle to go hunting with me this year. He's looking for a 30-06 for Deer & Bear hunting for under $500.
    Really he needs something ready out of the box or something he can add an adequate optic to this year and upgrade it later (better base gun).

I've researched it and based on reviews online, I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.
    - Mossberg Patriot (syn or walnut) w/ scope (possible Vortex scope combo)
    - Ruger American (also possibly Vortex combo)
    - Savage Axis XP II (has Weaver Kaspa preinstalled, bore-sighted)

I looked into the Remington 700 but all that can be had at that price was the ADL which has no floorplate or magazine and eliminates his budget for an optic.

He's not trying to get 1000 yards out of it or anything, but better accuracy/ease of use/ etc from base gun is more important than quality of included optics. Figure for quality base gun go with top end $400 because I can have him pick up a clearance Bushnell at the local dicks for like $90.
    Reviews seem to indicate Ruger and Savage have 1-1.5 MOA and with a good scope can hit 750-1000 but Patriot was looking like 1.5-2.5 MOA. So I'm leaning towards one of the first two.

Anyone use these or have a better recommendation? I think he'd like to try to stay on the lower cost end so he can buy other gear, etc.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Deer/Bear rifle under $500

Thompson Venture.

(Lehigh County)

Have you considered looking into a good used rifle? Thinking a wood stocked bolt action like a Savage 110 series or a Winchester, Remington, Howa, or a number of house brands that are made by one of the majors, but are considerably cheaper. Often come with a decent scope too.

Check out a store like tanners which usually has a good selection of used guns, I am sure some others can recommend more places in your area. Good luck!

Might want to put a want-to-buy in the classifieds here!

(Lackawanna County)

Savage axis. Remington 770

(Lycoming County)

Personally, out of the ones mentioned I would go with the Ruger American in 30-06 or 308. They seem to get the best reviews for accuracy and the ones I've handled seem put together well. If you go used there are tons of options as said above.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Have you considered looking into a good used rifle? Thinking a wood stocked bolt action like a Savage 110 series or a Winchester, Remington, Howa, or a number of house brands that are made by one of the majors, but are considerably cheaper. Often come with a decent scope too.

Might want to put a want-to-buy in the classifieds here!
    I can try the classifieds here, and I was going to tell him to look used. Problem with used is availability and previous owners use/care. Plus in Philly area quality used seems to be not much less than new in price. We haven't been to tanners though.

At least with the other new ones I could have him go to Dicks or DVSC or something and grab one or get transferred through the one local FFL for $25. In terms of other cheaper models. I've heard bad things about the cheaper Remington's (even the newer 700 series) and I haven't seen any "economy" Winchester or Howa or the thompson in stores.

Don't waste your friend's money on a Remington 710 or 770..they are the worst rifles.

If your friend wants to upgrade down the road when funds become available...I'd recommend the Savage/Stevens 200/Axis lineup.

You can also upgrade the Marlin XS7 series rifles.

If your friend buys a packaged deal...just know he's going to be getting junk base/rings/optics, so replacing those items will be important, but they will work for the time being.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Don't waste your friend's money on a Remington 710 or 770..they are the worst rifles.

If your friend wants to upgrade down the road when funds become available...I'd recommend the Savage/Stevens 200/Axis lineup.

You can also upgrade the Marlin XS7 series rifles.

If your friend buys a packaged deal...just know he's going to be getting junk base/rings/optics, so replacing those items will be important, but they will work for the time being.
    Good advice.

Most of the combos out there have junk optics that aren't worth the extra $$$ compared to just buying the base rifle and getting a decent scope separate.

(Bucks County)

The ruger American with vortex will probably be the best bet for new. Otherwise, you can probably pick up a good ruger 77, Remington 7/700/788 with a decent optic for the $500 budget. The Marlin X7 series are good rifles witha good following. You should be able to walk into any decent gun store and walk out with a good .30-06 with that kind of budget.

(Montgomery County)

Call Tanners and ask what they have on the rack thats used. theyll tell you over the phone. Most deer rifles in PA getnshot 5 times a year just before the season and maybe once or twice during the seaon. Maybe scratched up stock. ut who cares.

You can probably get a udpsed Rem 760 fir $300

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast