Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Stoeger Cougar 8000

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first handgun when my 21st rolls around this May. I've had my eye on a couple 9mm's: the Springfield XD and now the Stoeger Cougar 8000. I'm starting to lean toward the Cougar due to a couple reviews I've read (like the one in this January's Guns and Ammo) and the unbeatable price. One thing I haven't heard a lot about it though is people's experience with it (since it's rather new).

I know the Cougar was originally a Beretta model handgun, and that Stoeger is owned by Beretta now. The thing that I really like about the Cougar is that people are saying that you're basically getting a Beretta-quality handgun for about half of what it cost under the Beretta name. I'm also intrigued by the non-mainstream rotary locking action as opposed to the usual tilt-lock (the rotary is supposed to be inherently more accurate since the angle of the barrel never changes).

Do any of you own the Cougar 8000, or at least shot it? If you have, what do you think about?

Thumbs up Re: Stoeger Cougar 8000

Get yourself one! Great little pistol. I carry mine all the time! I have the DAO with a 15 rounder!!!! Shoots great. For the money you can not beat it.
    "343" Never Forgotten

Default Re: Stoeger Cougar 8000

I have a cougar INOX.. Rare and beautiful gun. its a sweet shooter.. You will be happy
    Beretta 8000f Inox, S&W 686 6", Armscor 1911A1, Beretta 92fs, Alchemy Spectre, S&W 22A 7" fluted, Taurus Tracker .17HMR, Firestorm ultra compact 9mm.. All stainless

http://tinyurl.com/7zoma

I had never heard of Stoeger when I bought mine. I did it on the recommendation of a friend who had one. I bought the S&W 40 (8040) and went directly to my local range to try it out. What I am about to say may sound like a lie, but it is the truth. I took it out of the plastic case that it came in, loaded it and at 15 meters I put the first 4 out of 5 round in the 10 ring. That was without a cleaning or anything. It is one of the finest "off the shelf" pistols that I have ever owned and the recoil is very light. If you buy one, I think you will truly enjoy it . The only complaint I have is on the location of the decocker lever. It is right where I grab the slide to chamber the first round and so it is a little awkward for me. Other than that, I would buy one again in a heart beat. As someone said , you can't beat it for the price.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by avordman View Post
    I had never heard of Stoeger when I bought mine.
    Have you heard of Beretta?

(Northumberland County)

Stoeger is a Beretta Brand of lower priced firearms that are generally made in Turkey. The cougar in stoeger trim is exactly a beretta cougar that is made in turkey to lower the costs. (they actually moved the machine tools to turkey) Same gun, but lower priced. At the higher price there are other guns that many prefer, however it looks like a great value at the lower price point.

I'm in the same boat as lexington86. I have heard great things about the Stoeger Cougar, but is accessory friendly? Do you also think that this would be a good first gun or would something else suit me better?

(Montgomery County)

I had a Beretta 8000 . 9mm

Great little gun. accurate.

Was my first gun as well. Had it for MANY years

sold it.

Prefer the 1911 platform

I've just bought my Stoeger Cougar. I had a choice, either to go for a Taurus 24/7 Pro or a Cougar. Why I have preferred the Cougar to the Taurus is because of the Beretta name (Stoeger is owned by Beretta) and the smaller size of the Cougar suitable for CCW. It is an awesome piece of machine. I've also fired a Glock 17 and not familier with its long DAO trigger pull. When I fire my baby (Cougar), I'll let you guys know of its performance. Thanks.

Does anyone have a good holster for the Stoerger Couger 8000 that they know works well?
    Ruger SR1911/SR9/Glock 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast