Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Travel to North Carolina

Ok. We're heading to the outer banks with my wife's family next month and I want to make sure that I'm doing things lawfully. We're heading down through Philly, the down the Delmarva, then crossing over the Bay Bridge Tunnel. As I understand things, I will be covered by FOPA to get through Maryland, provided that I unload, lock away and separate pistol from ammo. I will then be covered by my Utah license in Delaware and by both PA and UT while in NC. I'm also only carrying my PF9 (< 10 rounds) and will only be carrying ball ammo (no hollow points) just to avoid any potential issues in MD.

I will need to study up on where I can carry in VA and NC and if I have to disclose to LEO (which is a requirement for carrying with UT anyway), but aside from that, can anyone see anything that I'm missing? Also, any recommendations for how to carry once down in NC, places to go that are receptive or places to avoid (we'll be in Corolla)?

It will be nice to actually get to carry while on vacation for a change. We usually go to the Jersey Shore (talk to the wife, to hear it. ).

ETA: I will be carrying concealed in a fairly brightly colored sports fanny pack. If I gonna be a tourist, I may as well look like one. Batesian mimicry at its finest.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Default Re: Travel to North Carolina

these are a couple good web sites for NC www.carolinashootersclub.com www.ncgunowners.com .Someone should be able to give you the correct info. I just moved back to Pa after living in Nc for about 17years.

(Wayne County)

Bumping for more weekend traffic input.

(York County)

Hollow points are not an issue in Maryland, not for you, not for residents.

As to Virginia and N.C. carry laws, and firearms laws in general, check out this site for quick and
    easy access to the latest information: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Additionally, your choice to travel the DelMarVa route is a wise one. The far eastern, southern, and western regions
    of Maryland are radically more firearms friendly than the center. Read and follow FOPA and don't sweat that part of your
    trip.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Hollow points are not an issue in Maryland, not for you, not for residents.
    I wasn't sure and wasn't going to look it up since we have no reason to stop there. I just figured that I'd avoid any possible nit-pickyness if it was an issue irrespective of FOPA.

As to Virginia and N.C. carry laws, and firearms laws in general, check out this site for quick and
    easy access to the latest information: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Additionally, your choice to travel the DelMarVa route is a wise one. The far eastern, southern, and western regions
    of Maryland are radically more firearms friendly than the center. Read and follow FOPA and don't sweat that part of your
    trip.
    Thanks.

Heading down to OBX this Fall. Have traveled to NC many of times with my firearm. I transport via FOPA. I take precisely the amount of ammunition needed for the pistol +1 and a spare magazine. Don't plan on any target shooting. My time in PA is minimal before I get into Delaware. Once in VA, we stop for something to eat and I "lock and load". That is the bad part of all of this failure of states to recognize other LTCF's, you have people loading and unloading in parking lots. Anyway, once in VA and NC, use common sense, be familiar with their laws and all is well. Heading home, don't forget to secure your firearm and ammunition before getting into MD. Your Utah permit covers you in Delaware... no worries there. Lots of luck and enjoy the OBX.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    Heading down to OBX this Fall. Have traveled to NC many of times with my firearm. I transport via FOPA. I take precisely the amount of ammunition needed for the pistol +1 and a spare magazine. Don't plan on any target shooting. My time in PA is minimal before I get into Delaware. Once in VA, we stop for something to eat and I "lock and load". That is the bad part of all of this failure of states to recognize other LTCF's, you have people loading and unloading in parking lots. Anyway, once in VA and NC, use common sense, be familiar with their laws and all is well. Heading home, don't forget to secure your firearm and ammunition before getting into MD. Your Utah permit covers you in Delaware... no worries there. Lots of luck and enjoy the OBX.
    Thanks.

Are there really very many places posted against carry there?

Anyone that travels right now should carry some long guns with them and plenty of ammo. Just make sure you follow the states laws you are passing through. Drive around that NJ shit hole and DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Thanks.

Are there really very many places posted against carry there?
    Honestly, I don't recall. I carried concealed everywhere and did not notice any signage.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    Honestly, I don't recall. I carried concealed everywhere and did not notice any signage.
    That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast