Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Travel to North Carolina

While this is not a comprehensive list. The two major things I was worried about in NC was duty to inform. Also you cannot consume any alcohol while carrying.

I remember something about assemblies where a fee is charged or alcohol is served as off limits. But I believe that is just restricted to concerts, sporting events, etc.

My route to NC goes through WV and VA so I never had to worry about FOPA.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    While this is not a comprehensive list. The two major things I was worried about in NC was duty to inform. Also you cannot consume any alcohol while carrying.

I remember something about assemblies where a fee is charged or alcohol is served as off limits. But I believe that is just restricted to concerts, sporting events, etc.

Thanks. I was aware of those and I don't drink, so that just leaves me not driving over the speed limit. I think I can manage that.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

You still must inform. But some of the other laws have changed.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Ok. We're heading to the outer banks with my wife's family next month and I want to make sure that I'm doing things lawfully. We're heading down through Philly, the down the Delmarva, then crossing over the Bay Bridge Tunnel. As I understand things, I will be covered by FOPA to get through Maryland, provided that I unload, lock away and separate pistol from ammo. I will then be covered by my Utah license in Delaware and by both PA and UT while in NC. I'm also only carrying my PF9 (< 10 rounds) and will only be carrying ball ammo (no hollow points) just to avoid any potential issues in MD.

I will need to study up on where I can carry in VA and NC and if I have to disclose to LEO (which is a requirement for carrying with UT anyway), but aside from that, can anyone see anything that I'm missing? Also, any recommendations for how to carry once down in NC, places to go that are receptive or places to avoid (we'll be in Corolla)?

It will be nice to actually get to carry while on vacation for a change. We usually go to the Jersey Shore (talk to the wife, to hear it. ).

ETA: I will be carrying concealed in a fairly brightly colored sports fanny pack. If I gonna be a tourist, I may as well look like one. Batesian mimicry at its finest.
    I have the CCW app on my iPhone. It is pretty good with regard to status of CC wherever you may be. Whether it is permissible, prohibited locations, duty to inform, etc., AND - it is free. Look for the pistol with the American flag on the background icon.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I have the CCW app on my iPhone. It is pretty good with regard to status of CC wherever you may be. Whether it is permissible, prohibited locations, duty to inform, etc., AND - it is free. Look for the pistol with the American flag on the background icon.
    Thanks, but I rock a Blackberry. I'll look it up, but I doubt I'll find it.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Adams County)

Virginia is a big state. I would suggest getting a non-resident permit from Virginia so that if you are stopped there you don't have to try to explain the concept of reciprocity by the side of the road at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12