Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Disappointing results.

Tested a limited sample of Accurate #5 charged .38 Spec. loads. Started out with 6.8 grs of powder behind a 125 grain Plated Flat Nose. Because of screwed up sky conditions only 5 out ten fired registered on my Pact chrono. Got an average of 889.9 fps for a load that according to the data should have been closer to 1060. I'd have been happy if it were closer to 1000 fps.

The chrono pissed me off that day so I ordered the Infrared upgrade and that arrived yesterday so a retest was in order.

This time all 10 shots registered, but the raw average came out to 889.4! That "improved" to 901.4 when I dropped the lowest shot (781.6 fps). So an increase of 0.2 grains of powder gives me 11.5 fps more in velocity. 7.2 Grains is the max load so without going into +P loads I cannot hit 1000 fps. Crud and I like A #5 because I can use it in all the pistol calibers I handload.

My best move might be to go back to 158 grain bullets since I had no problem getting them to reliably hit the old IDPA 125,000 power factor (yeah I know IDPA dropped the PF for .38 Spec. to 105K a few years ago). I see some Berry's 158 grainers in my future. Though I had wanted to go to lighter bullets to save some beating on my hands. Damn arthritis.

Thoughts? Is anyone experimenting with CFE - Pistol?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Disappointing results.

If you want consistency switch to coated bullets, either King Shooter's PC bullets, Black Bullets International, or Blue Bullets. WAY better than plated.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

Heavier bullets I feel are easier to make power factor and shoot softer.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    If you want consistency switch to coated bullets, either King Shooter's PC bullets, Black Bullets International, or Blue Bullets. WAY better than plated.
    +1 for Kings "Rogers Better Bullets". Plus they are a very cool purple and they support the shooting sports and they will help you with reloading knowldgge.

(Susquehanna County)

AFAIK "coated bullets" use the load data for standard cast lead. True or No? I was always able to make PF with my cast lead loads.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lackawanna County)

True statement

(Beaver County)

Brick,

I check some load data off my website. I recommend 3.5 grains of bullseye for a 148 or 158 bullet. Most accurate load I can come up with. My coated 148 wad cutter was just under 1k FPS with minimal recoil and has one hole accuracy at 25 yards. It's definately my most popular 38 bullet that I make for accuracy.

As for loading coated to lead specs. Yes and no. It's an insurance thing. I have loaded my coated bullets and drove them well over 1400fps in a 357 Mag. If the lead is hard enough then the coating will hold up. It just all depends on the hardness of the lead that's under the coating. But for liability reasons we all say load to cast specs.

I've also had a customer from this board who had loaded (accidentally) my coated cast rifle bullets and pushed them over 1600fps without issue.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; July 14th, 2016 at 08:23 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lackawanna County)

Most of the reloading data that I see says that load should be less than 900fps so you are right there.

(Wayne County)

Try a different powder.

(Bucks County)

For my .38 and .357, the plated bullets need to be pushed a little harder than lead or coated lead for best accuracy. The 125g plated bullets have given good accuracy in the 850 - 900 fps range, and that requires about 7.2 g of AA#5. The 125g Hornady XTPs shoot really well with 9.0g of AA#5, and run around 1125. BUT, these loads are between .38 special and .357 magnum, so I only shoot them in a .357 S&W.

That said, I prefer lead or coated lead over HP-38 for the .38 for target loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast