Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock 19-still worth it? UPDATE- It's not

Despite my username, I've had some doubts raised about the reliability and "perfection" of Glock pistols. I have read the numerous reports over the last several years explaining how Glock's quality has diminished as evidenced by the many brass to face threads. Is a Glock 19 still a safe bet? I'm thinking of adding an additional one as a back up. I still think its a great size/capacity/economy option but don't want to start having problems 1k rounds in or feel like its a roll of the dice when you buy one because it could be fine or a dud.
    Last edited by glockmaster; August 2nd, 2016 at 05:23 PM.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

Default Re: Glock 19-still worth it?

Nothing has changed with Glock there were a few issues with the early run Gen 4's which has been corrected. The fact that some units in the military including the Special forces and now the FBI have all switched to the G19 tell's you something. If you need to sleep soundly at night get a gen 3 not that it really matters. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds from steel cased cheap stuff to my every day carry loads through a Gen4 G17 with never a single issue and the internals look no different then they did after the 500 rounds I put though it the 1st 2 day's I had it.

There are plenty of good affordable pistols on the market some have been proven more then others and Glock defiantly is in the proven category along with Beretta and SIG. They are the safe boring choice that you really cannot go wrong with.

Anything mechanical can and will eventually break and sometimes you just get a lemon doesn't matter if it's a $85K BMW or a $550.00 G19 crap happens.
    Last edited by Hodgie; July 13th, 2016 at 05:46 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Nothing has changed with Glock there were a few issues with the early run Gen 4's which has been corrected. The fact that some units in the military including the Special forces and now the FBI have all switched to the G19 tell's you something. If you need to sleep soundly at night get a gen 3 not that it really matters. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds from steel cased cheap stuff to my every day carry loads through a Gen4 G17 with never a single issue and the internals look no different then they did after the 500 rounds I put though it the 1st 2 day's I had it.

There are plenty of good affordable pistols on the market some have been proven more then others and Glock defiantly is in the proven category along with Beretta and SIG. They are the safe boring choice that you really cannot go wrong with.

Anything mechanical can and will eventually break and sometimes you just get a lemon doesn't matter if it's a $85K BMW or a $550.00 G19 crap happens.
    yeah i heard about the SF's adopting it. Thank you for the reply. No brass to face issues for you then?

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    yeah i heard about the SF's adopting it. Thank you for the reply. No brass to face issues for you then?
    I have a G26, G43, g17 and a G19 and never took brass to the noggin with any of them. If one does it's typically a simple fix of an out of spec ejector.

(Delaware County)

You realize opening a post about the good and bad concerning Glocks is like asking about God vs Atheism, cops vs BLM or great taste vs less filling, right?!
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Delaware County)

I have a G26, G43, g17 and a G19 and never took brass to the noggin with any of them. If one does it's typically a simple fix of an out of spec ejector.
    I have to stuck to Glocks in the 9mm cal too, so I'm not buying all kinds of different size ammo. What do you think of the G43? Is it a true pocket pistol? I've only looked at them in the gun stores. I recall Hickok45 seemed to like it...
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Susquehanna County)

I have a G19, a Gen 2 in fact. Two complaints, one the magazines don't fall free when empty and sometimes trying to do a rapid mag change the heel of my hand gets pinched (painfully) when I slam a new magazine home. It makes me wish Glock would do something like a "Commander" with a full sized G17 frame mated to a g19 slide and barrel assembly.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I have a G19, a Gen 2 in fact. Two complaints, one the magazines don't fall free when empty and sometimes trying to do a rapid mag change the heel of my hand gets pinched (painfully) when I slam a new magazine home. It makes me wish Glock would do something like a "Commander" with a full sized G17 frame mated to a g19 slide and barrel assembly.
    Early mag's were not drop free all my Gen3 and 4's drop free.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah I've seen the ejector problems and that was my concern. Why would Glock just not fix the problem in the first place?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    You realize opening a post about the good and bad concerning Glocks is like asking about God vs Atheism, cops vs BLM or great taste vs less filling, right?!

Didn't ask about comparisons at all. Just wanted to know if anyone is still seeing these brass to face issues and if quality has diminished.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast