Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default 1911 ambi safety removal

Long time fan of the 1911 platform. I've been a mechanic by trade for as long as I've worked. Always a little hesitant to do my own gunsmithing.

Anyways I have a TRP operator and it has an ambi safety. Now this is my open carry firearm of choice. Over time I've noticed I've bumped the safety off accidently through out my day. Maybe hitting the console in my car or something else. I was wondering how manageable it is to swap to a standard safety. Was looking at a Wilson combat or similar. I've seen a lot of ads say they are drop in pieces.

Anyone have any stories or experience here?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 1911 ambi safety removal

Have not done so for a while, but I remember going the opposite way and it was quite straightforward and not difficult. I am sure there is a video of this on the web these days that shows how to do it.

(Bucks County)

It should be straightforward. However, there are plenty of safeties that require some minor fitting. I recommend taking it to a gunsmith if you are not confident that you can sand/polish the thumb safety to make it work properly. Plus, it depends on the design of the ambi-side. You might have to replace the pins in the frame.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the advice. I haven't found a gunsmith I'm willing to trust yet why I was debating doing it myself. I figured it wasn't overly complicated, but I didn't know if there were horror stories out there. I recall looking at the ambi side and I don't recall how the pin is attached.

I hope most folks are competent enough to swap an ambi safety for a standard safety on a 1911.

The ones that I have owned...you just need to wiggle the ambi safety from the ambi side (IE right hand side) and it should come off.

OP, it's not difficult at all and I know that some say 1911 parts may require you to mill it, but it's really not that difficult. I'd really hope my statement is true since you are mechanically inclined.

(Berks County)

I really dislike the ambidextrous safety. I catch them when slide racking and they knock off by accident like the op states. Easy change. Test it thoroughly before relying on it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I really dislike the ambidextrous safety. I catch them when slide racking and they knock off by accident like the op states. Easy change. Test it thoroughly before relying on it.
    Well at least it's not just me then. And that's one of the reasons I have a bunch of snap caps. Saftey and function check as well as misfire drills out at the range.

I think I'll pick up a set of smith files and give it a shot. Change the cocobola grips while I'm at it. Been on the to do list for a long time, but I've had my eye on a 10mm 1911 and I've let my TRP sit.

(Erie County)

I put a Wilson drop-in safety in my Colt. Had to do a little filing for proper fit.

Don't be that carpenter who cut the board three times and the board was still too short.

Fitting is a slow process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lancaster County)

No way. If it takes me 8 hours to file it then it takes me 8 hours. I did a little bit of machine work at an old job working at .005 tolerances. I'm more nervous than lacking the skills for it.

There are several designs that are attached in different ways. Most right-side levers are held on by the grip and have a slot-tab on the pivot pin (center below). Some also use a little T-slot in the back of the right-side and grooved end on a slightly longer sear pin. You need to remove the right-side grip and engage the safety (up) to remove it.

They have a tendency to scratch the right side of the frame.

Last edited by abner13; July 15th, 2016 at 05:54 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!