Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Anyone with trigger time with the Ruger American 9?

I fondled a Ruger American 9mm at Bass Pro, but didn't get to dry fire the trigger. I haven't shot one yet either. For those of you who have dry fired and/or shot one, what did you think?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Default Re: Anyone with trigger time with the Ruger American 9?

It's just another polymer striker fired rail gun with a ridiculously over sized beaver tail that tends to beat the shit out of users like me with average to smaller hands. The pull is a bit smoother then a standard Glock but the reset is non existent like a DAO you have to release it almost all the way out before it resets so if you like to ride a nice reset don't bother. Spare mags are also very pricey and hard to find so you will probably be going right to Ruger for them.

The triggers on the Canik TP9 pistols far surpass the Ruger and all around I think it's a better gun then the American. If you want to spend a few more bucks and trigger really matters that much then the only factory striker fired trigger that's better then the Canik TP9 is the Walther PPQ which is almost to good for a striker fired duty/carry pistol.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    ...but the reset is non existent like a DAO you have to release it almost all the way out before it resets so if you like to ride a nice reset don't bother....
    Never mind then. I had some high hopes. It felt great in my hand too! So far my Sig P320 Carry is my favorite striker gun so far. I wish Sig would release their small sized grip for the Carry model. I've been carrying and shooting a S&W Shield for so long, I now prefer thinner grips. The medium P320 Carry frame isn't too bad, but the size small would be even better. I checked, the Sig Store doesn't sell it...yet.

(Chester County)

I just got back from my shooting range and dry fired it. The ergonomics and trigger pull aren't bad, but the reset is too long. If it was half the distance it is now then I would have bought it on the spot.

I would advise renting one 1st if you ever decide to go with one like many of the reviews it really beat the shit out of the knuckle on my thumb after half a box I was done with it.

(Allegheny County)

Glock wins at striker fire hands down.