Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default .357 sig conversion for conceled carry?

So... I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a Glock 23 (.40 cal.) However i have been thinking of buying something in .357 sig for a while. If I were to get a .357 sig conversion for the 23 would it be legal to cc it. I try to know all I can about the law and have read the Criminal Code several times but I feel like I'm missing something here. Also if this has been covered I apologize in advance but I cant seem to find any info on this anywhere.

(Chester County)

Default Re: .357 sig conversion for conceled carry?

As long as you have a license to carry, you can conceal a Glock 23 with a .357 sig barrel in it. Regarding Glock pistols, the only way you can make them illegal is if you convert it to full auto (like the Glock 18) or try to obliterate the serial number.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Butler County)

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind elaborating on how you know this? Professional experience, personal experience, is it in a law or court decision I can read? Please don't take my questioning attitude wrong. Its just that I'd look pretty stupid defending my possession and/or use if it by saying, "It must be ok, I read it on a forum."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike1001 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Would you mind elaborating on how you know this? Professional experience, personal experience, is it in a law or court decision I can read? Please don't take my questioning attitude wrong. Its just that I'd look pretty stupid defending my possession and/or use if it by saying, "It must be ok, I read it on a forum."
    Changing a barrel and magazine on a Glock 23 isn't illegal. I can't find any specific statutes or laws saying it is legal, but a lot of people here usually buy 9mm barrels for their Glock 22 and 23 pistols. Is there any reason you think it might be illegal?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Berks County)

Every conversion barrel comes with an admonishment that they are for range use only. That is to the best of my limited knowledge. It lawyer speak to protect manufatorer incase it fails the owner or the injured it looking for deep pockets. You would be in the position of defending your mod to make your gun a more powerful killing machine. Lawyers live for this kind of gray area exploitable details. Don't bother asking for citations, I'm not interested in packaging up a thesis for you. Do your own homework. This is friendly advise only, so you get to take it or leave it. And no this was not ment to be pissy or angry. It's just hard to convey true attitude of a response in a thread. IANAL. Ymmv.

(Butler County)

I see. I didn't know it was a somewhat common practice. No reason to think its illegal, I have just had some very bad experiences with police (never been arrested though and not a trouble maker) and its made me very cautious about what I do, especially concerning my guns.

(Butler County)

Also I'm not from a family that has guns or hunts so sometimes I miss stuff others would consider common knowledge.

(Berks County)

FWIW, you might find a deal on a used gun in that caliber. Many LEO departments are dropping it and going to different calibers.

Down the road it might be hard to get ammo for that. 357 unless you reload.

(Butler County)

That's a good thought. I am getting into reloading a bit. I thought the .357 sig would be fun to play with.

(Tioga County)

In my not so humble opinion, the .357sig is in the same category with the .45GAP. Not worth the effort. Some time ago Glock got the NY state police to go to the .45GAP I had it from a reliable source the only reason the police went that way is Glock gave them a ton of ammo and a dirt cheap price on the guns. Sales were in the tank for that pistol. I don't own a Glock. They simply don't fit my hand correctly others love them.
    USNRET '61-'81

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast