Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Handgun rankings

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and wanted a little advise from the experts. I am looking at upgrading my police department with new handguns and came up with the following list. We currently are using Glock 22's that are about ten years old, so its time for new ones. Let me know what you think is the best choice. Don't worry about price, just quality and reliability.

Also do you know where I can find reviews for each of the following handguns...

1. Springfield 1911 operator (PX9116LP) .45ACP
    2. Springfield XD .45ACP
    3. Springfiled XD .45GAP
    4. Kimber 1911 (PRO TLE/RL II) .45ACP
    5. H&K USP .45ACP
    6. Glock 38 .45 GAP
    7. Glock 21 . 45ACP
    8. Sig Sauer P220R .45ACP

Any help would be appreciated

(Pike County)

Default Re: Handgun rankings

For a bulk purchase I would say stick with the Glock. The accessories are readily available, as well as good fitting holsters. I personally shoot the XD45 ACP, and chose it over the Glock after shooting both, but the lack of available holsters and accessories may inhibit a Police department from fitting everyone properly.

I am by no means a expert but offer this food for thought....

Your officers are already trained and familiar with the Glock platform. The Glock and a 1911 are two different animals. Changing to a 1911 style weapon will require a whole new training regiment. I say stick with the Glocks. If I recall, Erie PD is carrying G21's. Seems the shift to .45 is on!

Good luck and stay safe. Please update this if/when you make a selection.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Luzerne County)

Hmmm....I guess the next handgun will be a .45 caliber? The most logical choice seems to be the Glocks as they would be a natural and seamless transistion from the 22s the dept is currently using. They are also a superb and dead nuts reliable peiece as I expect your 22s have been. The XD falls into the same category as the Glocks, fits smaller hands better but would require a little re-training. The HK is also a very good choice and a very fine weapon but would require re-training and is considerably more $. The rest are fine weapons but IMO not typical duty guns for one reason or another. My 2 cents.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Allegheny County)

I think you should stick with the Glock 22.

Kind of amatuer, IMO, when the guns listed above are all .45ACP, and mostly 1911 type 45's.

Anybody that has actually gone out, and sought training (IE: doesn't stand still at the range and squeeze off one round at a time), can usually tell you that 1911 type handguns rank pretty low when it comes to reliability (Tactical Response has been running a school for the past ten years. In that ten years less than five 1911 type pistols have made it through the 2 day training classes they offer, without malfunctioning.) The 1911 was made almost 100 years ago, when the guns were hand fitted together by craftsman in a factories, each part was fitted individually, so they simply don't lend themselves well to modern assembly practices, CNC, drop in parts, and stuff like that.

The XD is a nice gun, but from what I've seen first hand, they tend to rust easily (Cops donlt usually work in a nice, clean, fluffy environment). So if you're looking for a gun that works, rarely malfunctions, low maintenance, and is RELIABLE, just upgrade your Glock 22's.

Disclaimer: I know I'll catch some flak for the 1911 statement.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jadam8304 View Post
    Hey Guys,

New to the forum and wanted a little advise from the experts. I am looking at upgrading my police department with new handguns and came up with the following list. We currently are using Glock 22's that are about ten years old, so its time for new ones. Let me know what you think is the best choice. Don't worry about price, just quality and reliability.
    I'd say stay with the G22.

Also do you know where I can find reviews for each of the following handguns...
    It's terribly difficult to find objective reviews. I'm sure you'll find info like specs and dimensions and such but most reviews in the gun rags are drivel and most reviews on the internet are but of one sample.

1. Springfield 1911 operator (PX9116LP) .45ACP
    1911's are high maintenance. You need an on site armorer or some kind of PM package from the manufacturer and that can get expensive.

2. Springfield XD .45ACP
    Probably not a bad choice. Equal to the G22.

3. Springfiled XD .45GAP
    6. Glock 38 .45 GAP
    I'd shy away from odd ball calibers.

7. Glock 21 . 45ACP
    Too large of a grip circumference for most people.

4. Kimber 1911 (PRO TLE/RL II) .45ACP
    I would not want to rely on the series II FP lock for a duty pistol.

5. H&K USP .45ACP
    Horrible customer service and support.

8. Sig Sauer P220R .45ACP
    The DA/SA trigger would probably involve a steep learning curve in the transition from the G22.

From your list I'd still recommend the G22 or the XD in .45ACP or .40S&W. Another option is the new S&W M&P.

(Allegheny County)

Once again, I'm with Tony.

If your company has used Glocks for the past 10 years, then why change?

There's a reason that 90% of all the LE agencies in the US carry Glocks (I think it's 90), and that most of the top instructors in the nation choose Glocks.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    Once again, I'm with Tony.
    All except for that 1911 wisecrack.

There's a reason that 90% of all the LE agencies in the US carry Glocks (I think it's 90),
    A big part of the reason is low cost.

and that most of the top instructors in the nation choose Glocks.
    Many do but there are a bunch of top shelf instructors who prefer 1911's.

To name a few ........

Jeff Cooper (R.I.P.)
    Giles Stock
    Louis Awerbuck
    Randy Cain
    Rob Haught
    Pat Rogers
    Ken Hackathorn
    Larry Vickers
    John Farnam

Nevertheless the Glock, XD or M&P would be your best options.

(Centre County)

I just want to point out. That i have never had any issues with the support from HK. My USP's both have functioned flawlessly since their first round fired. Anyway i just wanted to say that I have had good results with HK's support.

But, i must admit if you dont feel like spending the extra money for a USP i would go for a XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    I just want to point out. That i have never had any issues with the support from HK. My USP's both have functioned flawlessly since their first round fired.
    Not having had any issues with your handgun indicates to me you haven't had to experience H&K CS. What would be the basis for your statement?

My experience in discussing the issue with various instructors from around the country is that H&K parts are expensive and in many instances non-existent with lead times of several months. This is with LE agencies using their products.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast