Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Refference letter for purchase denial.

I worto this letter for a friend that got denied on a PICS check. What do you guys think. * indicates a name change, don't want to share his personal info.

To Whom it may concern;

I have had the pleasure to work with Mr smith* over the past 4 years at two different ambulance organizations. He has always been the consumate professional, and an astute public servant. His dedication to his community is unsurpassed by most in his field. Mr smith* also served his country with distinction and was honorably discharged from a term of service with the United States military, serving both at home and over seas.

Mr smith* is one of the most responsible individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I can see no reason why his past should bar him from the ability to own and posess a firearm in the commonwealth. He has been protecting and serving the citizens of this commonwealth as a paramedic for the past four years, Mr smith* shoud be granted the same right to safe guard his family at home, just as he has safe guarded his country, state and community.

For any other questions regarding this letter or my relationship to Mr smith* please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Brown-Bear
    3%

(Berks County)

Default Re: Refference letter for purchase denial.

Looks damned good to me.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Somerset County)

the letter sounds good
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Allegheny County)

Looks good.

I do a lot of interviewing of potential hires and consultants for the organization I work for and even help coach friends and others with resumes and interviewing. One thing I look for are examples. Often people are quick to mention that they are "resilient", "problem solvers" or "dedicated". I say, how? Show me an example of when you exemplified those qualities.

Now, I'm not saying that your friend isn't any of those things which you claim him to be. But, people believe ideas which they derived from their own conclusion much more easily and with greater conviction than that which we "tell" them to believe. So, to help your friend out, give examples. Beyond his service with the ambulance company, delve deeper. Make sure there is no way that the reader of your letter can come away not thinking exactly what you want them to think, *through their own conclusions* based on the bullet-proof examples you offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    ... I can see no reason why his past should bar him from the ability to own and posess a firearm in the commonwealth.
    I'm a little confused here.

Was there a reason given for the denial? Was he denied for something in his past?

Also, I did not know that an appeal to a denial could contain personal reference letters? Is this standard procedure?

(Chester County)

denial form is just a standard form to fill out... i have been denied and had to get it over turned... didnt need any reference letters or anything just filled out the form n mailed it in

(York County)

Mr Smith's* was denied a purchase at Gander Mtn. He filed his appeal like you're supposed to. Then he recieved a letter stating that his status was undetermined at this time. They then asked him for a written explanation as to the circumstances leading to his "past". There is an issue there, but I cannot and will not sahre that info here. All I can say is that it happened quite a few years ago while he was still in the service. Apparently the military authority shared there info with the local civilian authority at the time, and they want some more clarification from Mr Smith*.

They did not ask for a reffernce letter, but he wrote one for awhile back when I was seeking a scholaship. So i just returned the favor, no idea if will help. But I just thought it was the right thing to do.

Dave
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Mr Smith's* was denied a purchase at Gander Mtn. He filed his appeal like you're supposed to. Then he recieved a letter stating that his status was undetermined at this time. They then asked him for a written explanation as to the circumstances leading to his "past". There is an issue there, but I cannot and will not sahre that info here. All I can say is that it happened quite a few years ago while he was still in the service. Apparently the military authority shared there info with the local civilian authority at the time, and they want some more clarification from Mr Smith*.

They did not ask for a reffernce letter, but he wrote one for awhile back when I was seeking a scholaship. So i just returned the favor, no idea if will help. But I just thought it was the right thing to do.

Dave
    If I were him, and they sent me some bullshit letter that said I was 'still undetermined' without telling me why, I'd probably sue.

Unless you're omitting just a bit too much of the story (for example, how can he be 'undetermined' but have some dark past somehow haunting him to the point of (il)legal limbo?) it seems like some abuse of office going on. (Not sure who is responsible...Jeffrey Miller?)

The RKBA is all over the place -- for example, in several constitutions. Any time someone is not being told about the problem so they can appropriately respond to it...it's clear someone erred in the wrong way.

I have no idea how a reference letter would clear up this miscarriage of law.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    If I were him, and they sent me some bullshit letter that said I was 'still undetermined' without telling me why, I'd probably sue.

Unless you're omitting just a bit too much of the story (for example, how can he be 'undetermined' but have some dark past somehow haunting him to the point of (il)legal limbo?) it seems like some abuse of office going on. (Not sure who is responsible...Jeffrey Miller?)

The RKBA is all over the place -- for example, in several constitutions. Any time someone is not being told about the problem so they can appropriately respond to it...it's clear someone erred in the wrong way.

I have no idea how a reference letter would clear up this miscarriage of law.
    At the risk of sounding rude, did you even read the post be me that you quoted? It clearly states that he was denied and the letter does explain why, but I said that I would not share the info with the board. I know why he was denied, he knows why he was denied, You do not need to know why he was denied. Let me make this as clear as possible.

My friend was denied, the letter he recieved clearly states a reason for the denial, they are asking him for his side of the story. MMMMkay.
    3%

(Franklin County)

In only two instances I have seen, 'still undetermined' means there is something in his history, but they are giving him an opportunity to explain or clarify the incident to his benefit. Something like "arrested but not convicted" or "in the car but not driving" or "present at the massacre but did not fire my weapon".

If he can't offer any substantive information in his own behalf, the next letter will be a denial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast