Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default deciding between 9mm and .357 revolver

I thought I would put this out to the court of public opinion to see where it goes. I am looking to purchase my first handgun for home defense and concealed carry ( i have my Permit already) I have fired a few 9mm's and a couple of revolvers. Here they are;

Beretta 92fs loved it

Springfield XD S

Glock 19

Ruger SP101 ( only put .38's through it)

Ruger GP100 both .38 and .357 (awesome experience)

I am also looking to head back to the couple of ranges I go to and see if they have a CZ75 and an IWI Jericho 941 to rent and try I have read good things about them and I can get them with steel frames as well. I can tell you the polymer framed guns that I have fired I am not a fan of due to the fact they felt like toys.

Any way thought I would put this out there and see what advice would be given, I'm looking to keep the price near or below the $600 mark

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: deciding between 9mm and .357 revolver

Only you can decide which one to buy, and I am glad you are trying various ones on for size so to speak.
    I have a 92fs and I routinely carry it in an inside the waistband holster with just a t-shirt.

Revolvers are a bit bulkier in some ways but depending on your body shape and wardrobe they can also be concealed easily. Revolvers are also much simpler to operate, but you sacrifice capacity. I can carry 15 to 17 (+1) in the 92fs, but the most you can get in a revolver is 5 or 6.

Keep in mind too that the choice of holster is almost as important as the gun, if you want to stay concealed and comfortable. Check out Insight Firearms in Jeffersonville (get off the Oaks exit of 422 and head east until you hit Main Street and the left on Main for about a block). They have a wide selections of holsters and blue guns and are very helpful in finding a good combination for your preferences,

(Carbon County)

i've been looking at a ruger 6 shot in the federal .327 magnum ......much less recoil than .357 but similar ballistics plus an extra round
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Delaware County)

I used to carry a Kahr CW9, now I carry a SP101 .357.

Although I switched for a few reasons, the main reason I now carry the revolver is comfort, the 9 was boxy and cut into me, the revolver is rounder, shorter, for my size and shape it works. The 9 had a 7 round mag, carrying extra mags was a bit bulky too, while my revolver only holds 5, I carry two speed loaders for the revolver, also more comfy to carry.

What it boils down to is personal preference, what works for "us" might not for you. Sounds like you are going about it the right way though, trying different guns and looking for feedback.

Good luck and carry on.

(Lancaster County)

I have the Ruger sp- 101 and the Glock 26, I like them both, I find the. 357 in that little gun unpleasant to shoot much with the standard grips. The 26 is much more pleasant, and you have the option of a quicker reload.
    Cb

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    I have the Ruger sp- 101 and the Glock 26, I like them both, I find the. 357 in that little gun unpleasant to shoot much with the standard grips. The 26 is much more pleasant, and you have the option of a quicker reload.
    Cb
    It is, that's why I put Hogue grips on and they help enough to make it comfortable. Softer and a little meatier, easier to hold.

(Philadelphia County)

Glock 19 hands down. 15 + 1 vs 6. Varied choice of IWB holsters available.
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mb534 View Post
    I thought I would put this out to the court of public opinion to see where it goes. I am looking to purchase my first handgun for home defense and concealed carry ( i have my Permit already) I have fired a few 9mm's and a couple of revolvers. Here they are;

Beretta 92fs loved it

Springfield XD S

Glock 19

Ruger SP101 ( only put .38's through it)

Ruger GP100 both .38 and .357 (awesome experience)

I am also looking to head back to the couple of ranges I go to and see if they have a CZ75 and an IWI Jericho 941 to rent and try I have read good things about them and I can get them with steel frames as well. I can tell you the polymer framed guns that I have fired I am not a fan of due to the fact they felt like toys.

Any way thought I would put this out there and see what advice would be given, I'm looking to keep the price near or below the $600 mark

Thanks
    My first carry gun was s gp100 3" barrel. Excellent gun, but pretty heavy and bulky for iwb carry. I still carry it sometimes owb. I have a lcr in.357 I carry owb concealed sometimes as well. It's a lot smaller and lighter, but same as the sp101, it's not very pleasant with full.357 loads for very long. If you like the Jerhico, check out the tristar t120 also. It's the same pistol and can be had a little cheaper. I just got 1, but haven't had it to the range yet. They also make a t100 which is a little more compact and would conceal easier.

Anything you listed would be a decent choice really, so it's all about what you shoot best. If you decide to go revolver, remember speed loaders take practice. Get a few and work with them often if you want to become proficient with them.

(Bucks County)

looks like you already decided to me, "awesome" associated with the gp100.. Ruger makes a hell of a gun, I'm also a big fan of a revolver for a house gun....I you can deal with the weight on your belt then it's a win-win..
    I actually carry a glock 27
    Last edited by 51158; July 9th, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mb534 View Post
    I thought I would put this out to the court of public opinion to see where it goes.
    Threads such as yours will typically generate a different opinion/suggestion from the "court" with each reply...

Glad to hear that you are trying out different pistols before making your decision...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast