Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Personal Pocket Carry Report - Kel Tec P32

I prefer pocket carry (always with empty pocket and appropriate pocket holster) to IWB or OWB. In winter I tend to jacket/coat pocket carry, and my carry guns of choice are .380s, either Beretta Pico or Colt Pony. Whether winter or summer, I prefer hammer-fired DA semis to striker fired or revolvers (although I have pocket carried S&W J-frame revolvers in winter on occasion). Summer carry means pants pocket because I don't like even tactical vests in humid 90-degree heat. My body shape is rotund (dictated by age, metabolism, and injuries), so I have to carry lighter pistols in summer to avoid the pants-around-ankle syndrome. My lightest carry, usually when wearing shorts, is a .25 Colt Jr. Other than those circumstances, I generally carry a .32 acp. I started with Beretta Tomcats, but the regular versions proved unreliable (frames cracked during range sessions - yes I practice), went to Seecamp (didn't like the lack of sights), NAA Guardian (carried in summer for years), but was recently talked into trying the Kel Tec P32. Although longer and higher than the Guardian, it's significantly lighter and less wide. Below is a comparison of several (I've included the Beretta Tomcat INOX specs because I can't recommend the regular) all dimensions are in inches, weight is in ounces:

Length Height Width Weight Action

Beretta Tomcat INOX
    4.9 3.7 1.14 14.5 DA/SA

Walther PPK
    6.1 3.9 .98 19-22 DA/SA (weight depends on model)

Seecamp
    4.25 3.25 .86 11.5 DAO

NAA Guardian
    4.4 3.3 .87 13.5 DAO

Kel Tec P32
    5.1 3.5 .75 6.6 DAO (note, this is a sort of cross between DAO and DA/SA. The hammer goes into a sort of half cock when the first round is chambered, but it always returns to that half-cock status after firing)

I have put around 300 rounds, mixture of round nose and hollow points, through the pistol (matte black) with no failures. As is typical with .32acp, recoil was tame. Note: I did not use any heavy load rounds because this is a light pistol; normal defense rounds such as Hornady XTP seem to work fine. Take down and cleaning was easy. For pants pocket carry I decided to use the Ace Case slipless/clipless Stick-It size P (LCP, TCP) holster that I generally use when pocket carrying my Beretta Pico. The whole thing - case and pistol - dropped easily into my right front pants pockets (jeans and also Dockers III). With practice draws (unloaded pistol), the P32 cleared the pocket without pulling the holster with it. When loaded, the added weight of the rounds did not add any degree of discomfort or real pull. A mirror check did not show any printing beyond "there's something in that guy's pocket, guys sure do put a lot of crap in their pockets." I carried this combination for a week and will probably continue to do so until fall weather. I will also probably get another one under the "one is none, two is one" philosophy. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Guardian or Seecamps, but I don't have to make that decision quickly.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Personal Pocket Carry Report - Kel Tec P32

I always have a P-32 in my pocket.. I just got a Recluse holster that will hold a spare mag.. I carry it in my back pocket. Shorts, Jeans, Dress pants..
    Sometimes I'll carry my Glock 19 or my Walther pps but even then I carry the Kel-tec..

Joe

(Philadelphia County)

Did you consider the PF-9 or the .380acp version, the P3AT? I pocket carry my PF-9 most of the time.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Did you consider the PF-9 or the .380acp version, the P3AT? I pocket carry my PF-9 most of the time.
    I have a p-11.. nice, light reliable but a bear to shoot.. I'll carry the PPS if I'm gonna go 9..

Joe

(Delaware County)

I love my P32 for pocket carry. Usually back-up. Sometimes primary. It's the gun that's always there when bigger stuff stays home.

(Northumberland County)

i used to have a Beretta Tomcat .32 i liked the little gun it was a little awkward to carry, i found the perfect small gun to EDC switching from my G19 to Ruger LCR .357! i prefer the Ruger LCR -its lightweight and im confident it can get the job done! i have it loaded with Barnes .357 mag 140 gr Vor tx. i felt the .32 isnt powerful enough so i didnt feel confident and sold it. im glad your happy with your .32!

(Delaware County)

I'm glad to report that I've been carrying the P32 for over a week. It really just disappears into the pocket. I don't even bother taking it out when I get home, so there's a bonus carry that I tended not to do before. I have tried the P3 AT, not nearly as controllable as the P32, and the P11, which I rented a couple of times, does not really do what I want. For .380, I have my Beretta Pico - 11.5 oz to the P3AT's 8.8; that little extra weight plus the excellent sights make this preferable to me if I want a heavier hitter. I also have a couple of Colt Pony .380s with after-market sights that do the coat pocket trick for me. So, I think that the P32 hits the summer sweet spot.

(Allegheny County)

I take it you don't wear skinny jeans then?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I take it you don't wear skinny jeans then?

By body type, I'm more of a generous jeans fan.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    By body type, I'm more of a generous jeans fan.
    I too was cursed with a large penis so I also carry the p32. I carry it in a Hotshots holster but am constantly looking for a new and better one.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.