Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Becoming a Certified Firearms Instructor

I encourage viper getting more firearms education...along with everyone else here. I think that's why most people joined this site. This is an expensive enough hobby. I don't look down on him for starting a GFM.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Delaware County)

I am reviving this thread really quick! I made a post on Nextdoor for my area and it's getting a ton of comments. I'm going to start pushing this again, because I really want to get certified!
    Junior

(Allegheny County)

As an instructor, and someone that has attended a "few" firearms training courses throughout the country; I'll throw this out.

When I plan to take a class, what the instructor's certification is/or is from, is the least important part of the equation.

What is the instructor's background? (Military, Law Enforcement, Competitive Shooter, etc...)
    What training classes and where has the instructor trained at? (This is the most important one that I look at.)
    What do people that I know to be "serious" firearms practitioners, have to say about this instructor. (This differs than reading random forum or facebook statements or after action reports....)
    How long has the instructor been at it? (Not the be all criteria, cuz everyone has to start at ground zero at some point.)

To the OP,
    Good luck with your endeavor.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, NRA certification is meh. It's easily obtained by anyone who show's up to take the class and pay the fee. The credentials of the typical NRA instructor are usually not much more than a NRA Instructors Certificate (also easily obtainable).
    If the instructor has an extensive training back ground beyond NRA certification, and is teaching a NRA certification course, he is required by the NRA to only teach the NRA official curriculum for that course.

I'm not putting down NRA certification. It's fine for a beginner in the shooting sports, but if you have several years of practical experience and range time under your belt, you'll find the classes a bit boring.
    Last edited by Hawk; May 25th, 2017 at 04:23 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I am reviving this thread really quick! I made a post on Nextdoor for my area and it's getting a ton of comments. I'm going to start pushing this again, because I really want to get certified!
    If your willing to do same extras and help scouting events we can get you cert.
    Some of the stuff coming up.
    http://www.minsitrails.org/training/...rainings/65344
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12