Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Father accidentally shoots, kills son at indoor range

Seems a terrible tragedy and no doubt his guilt over it will haunt his remaining days. Still, as a lefty I've been pelted with plenty of hot brass and always maintained muzzle control. I don't know what this poor bastard was thinking, or more accurately...not thinking...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...ida-gun-range/

From the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office:

William Brumby was positioned in the last shooting lane where there was a solid wall on his right-hand side. After firing a round, the spent shell casing struck the wall causing it to deflect and fall into the back of Mr. Brumby’s shirt. Brumby then used his right hand, which was holding the handgun, in an attempt to remove the casing. While doing so, he inadvertently pointed the firearm directly behind him and accidently fired. The round struck his 14-year-old son, Stephen.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Washington County)

Default Re: Father accidentally shoots, kills son at indoor range

"Brumby's 24-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter were also at the range but were not injured."

I also found the story tonight as well. Heart breaking and well.. Very traumatizing.

(Philadelphia County)

Good God.

(Philadelphia County)

Sigh...... read story on Cnn. The basics I learned at 12 at Rifle & shotgun Merit Badge have not changed. He fucked up as bad as it gets. Manned up to it & yep it hurts. A reminder to all to drill in safety first always. At age 12 or 64.

(Chester County)

Sad and tragic story that was absolutely preventable had he used his training to put the gun down first and then retrieve the brass.

With that being said, if he was driving and stung by some bees causing an accident in which his son was killed, people would not be talking about banning cars or even talking about making the driver license harder to obtain. They would call it tragic and move on.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Northampton County)

This is awful. Guy realy screwed up. God bless his son and his family.

It's actually kind of hard to believe as described.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Montgomery County)

There is so much to learn when you reach a range for the first time. We all want to have "fun" at the range and telling new shooters "Hot brass may fall into your shirt or get trapped between your glasses and your eyes/face" is not usually part of the drill.

Every day I read posts here about how the RSO at this or that range are too tough or 'hover' too much over newer shooters. There is more to learn beyond the basics, there is more to teach.

This is a sad reminder for us all.

FYI, here is what to expect if you handle it correctly and can't get the case out quickly. Some pain vs ruining your life.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHF75lUjRO5/
    Last edited by PA_PB&J; July 5th, 2016 at 11:01 AM.

Horrible situation. Agree with others regarding hot spent brass and I will add in "range shrapnel" when drilling within 3 feet of the target. I have taken both brass and penetrating shrapnel. My training tells me to stay "in the zone" by finishing the shoot, keeping the muzzle in a safe direction and once the shoot is over, to HOLSTER the firearm. Then you can deal with the injury from the brass and/or shrapnel as well as occaisonal bee sting! This guy's lack of situational awareness and an appropriate response to that situation cost him his kid's life. This should be a wake up call to those new and casual shooters. Things happen at a range. But under no circumstances do you ever violate the four basic rules of gun safety even if mean's "take the pain". IMHO
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

Quote Originally Posted by ATBackpackin View Post
    Sad and tragic story that was absolutely preventable had he used his training to put the gun down first and then retrieve the brass.

With that being said, if he was driving and stung by some bees causing an accident in which his son was killed, people would not be talking about banning cars or even talking about making the driver license harder to obtain. They would call it tragic and move on.
    I have been on my motorcycle and had a bee fly into my helmet and starts stinging the crap out of my face for a moment it was between my eye glasses and my eye. I still manage to pull over in a safe spot and deal with it. When you are doing something where one false move can result in death sometimes you just have to deal with the pain for a minute. It's a very sad story the father is the only one I don't feel sorry for.

(Berks County)

He owned up to it, he didn't blame the gun. That's more than most people do. I hope he can forgive himself.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast