Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Safety glasses vs. glasses, and...gloves?

The two times I've gone shooting so far (class, and then one trip to the range), I wore earplugs, and my everyday glasses. Should I be wearing goggles over the glasses or are my glasses enough?

Should I invest in gloves to protect my hands? I'm a musician so I'm somewhat paranoid about my gun blowing up in my hands rendering it impossible to play music anymore How common are malfunctions/accidents of this kind?

(Warren County)

Default Re: Safety glasses vs. glasses, and...gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    The two times I've gone shooting so far (class, and then one trip to the range), I wore earplugs, and my everyday glasses. Should I be wearing goggles over the glasses or are my glasses enough?

Should I invest in gloves to protect my hands? I'm a musician so I'm somewhat paranoid about my gun blowing up in my hands rendering it impossible to play music anymore How common are malfunctions/accidents of this kind?
    Kabooms are exceedingly rare. Kabooms that injure shooters even more so.

On The Other Hand, ( pun intended) Your hands are how you make your living.
    I wore flight gloves for 20 years. They are supple and thin and provide some protection.
    If you need fingertip precision, scissors will remove trigger finger material.

Maybe you want a kevlar type degree of protection? I know nothing about that stuff....
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Centre County)

Music isn't how I make my living but I'd be pretty devastated if I permanently injured my hands due to a gun malfunction. I'm guessing this is rarer than winning the lottery, so I'll try not to worry too much

(Allegheny County)

I think (but have never verified) that my polycarbonate prescription lenses are less prone to breakage than run of the mill safety glasses.
    I wear them, but I wear my "work" glasses that already have some scratches rather than risking a nick on my good glasses.
    I don't think anything has ever actually hit my lens, but I have been hit by debris in the face and torso before. It happens - hence the need for the glasses.

(Beaver County)

If your lenses at not at least poly-carb or shatter resistant then yes. You need extra eye protection. I buy Oakley glass frames for my prescription specs. Their lenses are available in mil-spec and ansi rated shatter resistance. I pay the extra money so I don't have to double up.

I don't usually wear gloves for added protection but do wear fingerless impact rated mechanics gloves when shooting big bore revolvers to absorb some of the impact.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Chester County)

Good questions. Always better safe than sorry. Your glasses should be sufficient to protect your eyes, but goggles will protect your glasses so I'd say get a high quality set and wear them. Malfunctions that could result in serious damage to your hands are extremely rare, and most are due to cheaply made, cheaply priced firearms. Almost all hand injuries are a result of user error so hopefully you learned how to avoid making a mistake that could jeopardize your ability to play music in the class you took. That being said, if you're even the slightest bit concerned, get a good quality pair of fingerless gloves that fit well to allow you to maintain a firm grip. You may never need them for protection, but depending on what style of firearm your shooting they may make shooting more comfortable, allowing you to enjoy shooting longer on a range trip and get more practice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Kabooms are exceedingly rare. Kabooms that injure shooters even more so.

On The Other Hand, ( pun intended) Your hands are how you make your living.
    I wore flight gloves for 20 years. They are supple and thin and provide some protection.
    If you need fingertip precision, scissors will remove trigger finger material.

Maybe you want a kevlar type degree of protection? I know nothing about that stuff....
    You've engaged in a microaggression against people with only one hand. Please say 1 dozen Hail Lynch and 2 dozen Our Father Obama's.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I always wear safety glasses because they havent made a replacement eye yet...

musician for 37 years, never wore gloves. If something happens big enough to damage your hands to that extent gloves aint gonna protect ya

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    hopefully you learned how to avoid making a mistake that could jeopardize your ability to play music in the class you took.
    Here's what I learned from the class:
    -Proper safety measures when handling a gun, including obvious ones like not putting your hand over the muzzle, EVER
    -How to hold the gun so the slide doesn't smack into your thumb on your supporting hand

Those are the only two things I can think of specific to avoiding hand injuries. Am I missing anything?

(Berks County)

When shooting wheel guns keep your fingers away from the front of the cylinder when shooting. It mostly applies to small frame revolvers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast