Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default recoil of a 50.ae

what is the recoil like on a desert eagle 50.ae ive only fires a few weapons before and they consisted of a 12.ga 9mm glock and a 22. bolt action rifle.i know since its a big cartridge it must be heavy but i want to know how heavy(muzzle rise,how much your hands hurt after firing it,)

just wondering

Triggerh4ppy
    Last edited by Triggerh4ppy; February 16th, 2007 at 11:56 PM. Reason: errr forgot to put desert eagle in....
    Gott mit uns

(Monroe County)

Default Re: recoil of a 50.ae

The 50AE Desert Eagle has got to be the worst Handgun I ever fired.

The recoil is hard on the wrist and the brass almost always comes straight back hitting you on top of your head.

The day i shot the 50AE I was at the range with the factory rep. I got to fire just about every firearm they build and even the BFR in 45/70 was smoother to fire than the 50AE.

Rich W.

(Montgomery County)

the recoil of the 50 AE is really not that bad.....holding with both hands.

the ONLY reason you get hit in the head with brass is the fact that you didn't hold the gun tight enough

two words: LIMP WRIST the recoil is stout enough to cause this unless you really gorilla grip the gun.

the gun torques in the hands, and the slide ends up ejecting the casing into your head intead of over your shoulder.

I owned a 50AE DE...a couple in fact, I just got bored with them
    the ammo is almost $1 a round for factory, and its really not a good weapon when you get down to it, and its useless to hunt with in PA, thus it really has no other use but to cost you money, and be flashy.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Washington County)

Never shot the Desert Eagle, but I have shot an LAR Grizzly in .50AE. The recoil was manageable, but I shoot a lot of .44 mag, so it's all relative. Had plenty of muzzle flash, which was nice since we were shooting at night.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Never shot one. When one is brought to the range, it sounds like artillery.

(Lebanon County)

I shot one a few months ago. It was a handfull (both hands). It was managable, but not something I have a real urge to do again. I'm 5'7" 175#, my hands aren't very big, my fingers are short. The gun itself was too big to be comfortable in my hands.
    I didn't have any problems with recoil or ejected brass and I was able to keep it under control, but it really was more than I expected. It was fun as far as novelty is concerned, but from a practical standpoint, it was just too big for me. My Ruger 44 Mag. fits my hands a lot better and I have absolutely no problem with that, even with hot loads. Perhaps if the 50 fit my hands better I would have liked it more.
    I don't regret it, I ain't against it, but I don't think I'll buy one.
    Hope this helps to answer your question.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    Never shot the Desert Eagle, but I have shot an LAR Grizzly in .50AE. The recoil was manageable, but I shoot a lot of .44 mag, so it's all relative. Had plenty of muzzle flash, which was nice since we were shooting at night.

Vince

Yes, the Grizzly was always the best .50 out there. Too bad they don't make them any more. The DE is heavier and gas operated, you'd think that means less recoil but it doesn't. I shoot my Grizzly with one hand ONLY. My 13 ounce 357 mag has 2 to 3 times the recoil of this .50. If you want a .50 AE try to find one of these used.[]

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    what is the recoil like on a desert eagle 50.ae ive only fires a few weapons before and they consisted of a 12.ga 9mm glock and a 22. bolt action rifle.i know since its a big cartridge it must be heavy but i want to know how heavy(muzzle rise,how much your hands hurt after firing it,)

just wondering

Triggerh4ppy
    The first time I shot a Desert Eagle 50AE, I had never fired a semi-auto. Somehow my left thumb floated up and half my thumbnail was ripped off by the slide.

I finished the entire mag before I noticed the blood dripping off the base of my thumb. The gun had such a blast and such a recoil that I hadn't noticed it had torn off half my thumbnail!

Its not a "beginners" pistol, and just might make some inexperienced shooters develop very bad habits.

I'd shoot one now with no second thoughts, and I would enjoy it. But get used to shooting more forgiving semi-auto pistols before trying out the 50AE.

(Berks County)

I bought a 50 Desert Eagle this year and it does have some kick to it but it isnt very bad and surprising it extremely accurate. I can put 1" groupings in with it at 10 yards and its zero'ed from factory at 100 yards so it holds for some far distances.

My lil 5'2" gf shoots it and is used to it now although it was funny the first time she shot it. First time, she fired one round and just yells, i quit...

Cute video, she did well..but I think the gun won.

Good training, she kept it pointed down range.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast