Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook wars

(Wayne County)

Default Facebook wars

OK, I'm about fed up with all the anti-gun BS on social media, especially Facebook, lately. And since perception is reality, I've decided to not only respond to correct these BS posts, which are full of deliberately inaccurate information, but to go on the offensive I will not be apologetic for wanting to take responsibility for protecting my family. As such, I've decided to go on the offensive on FB and I recommend that anyone who participates on social media do the same.

Here's what I posted this evening. I already got one request to teach a woman from NY to shoot. If anyone is interested in sharing this to spread it, PM me and I'll send you my name and you can look it up.

Perhaps what we need to control the number of firearm related deaths in the US is a nationwide, comprehensive firearm education program that teaches kids how to safely handle firearms.
    We trust kids enough to teach them sex education in schools, why not basic firearms safety? Is teaching them how to avoid accidentally taking a life less important than teaching them how to avoid accidentally creating a life? Studies have shown that comprehensive sex education courses have reduced unwanted teen pregnancies by 50%. Yet, when it comes to firearms, many in our nation rely on an abstinance-only approach toward guns despite the obvious evidence that this is an ineffective approach.
    All I know is that teaching our children to approach an issue from a position of ignorance rather than a position of knowledge is negligent. If it saves the life of just one kid would it be worth it?
    Take a kid shooting today!
    Share if you agree.

Feel free to post your own social media campaigns.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Facebook wars

I quite agree. About two weeks ago I had posted the following:
    It is gravely concerning to see some people in our country are at a moment of tragedy persuaded by short sighted thinking based on fear, ignorance, social bias, impaired reasoning, intellectual dishonesty, and poor moral grounding. Shockingly we see a lack of appreciation for the many blessings which so many worldwide desperately wish they had. So many insist on turning us over to be like everyone else, discarding our principles which have elevated us above the prosperity, achievements, and stature of any nation ever formed. Some of them say that we have invited upon ourselves horrific problems because we allow individuals to empower themselves with force that can be misused against others. What such thinking ignores, or at least diminishes, is the value of the very same which offers the ability to defend the very often abused minority or individuals--violent force by consensus is by far the greater abuser. Individual means to exert force in excess of one's own ordinary means is precisely the necessary tool to elevate the rights and security of people above the events of whatever place and time one should arrive upon. To be thus armed by means afforded by modern design is not a lack of respect for life, but very much because we respect it so much as to retain the best means of preserving it against that which we know historically has assailed it.

In even our own country, and also world history spanning a dozen millenia or so, over time there have been groups of people who have despicably chosen to abuse others they dislike personally, wanted to exploit economically, disagree with religiously or politically, or wanted to rob or pillage property thereof. They have done so by simple control of numbers and the lack of moral conscience to treat their fellow man with grace and fairness. Often that was even achieved under presumably lawful authority much the same (and occasionally worse) as it was under criminal action. Irish immigrants, the Native American tribes, Americans of African descent, Italian immigrants, Mexican and Chinese..the list is as varied as the times and places where subjugation by law, social exclusion, and brute force have occurred. However, largely we think of it as being comparitvely rare in the overall course of our experience. By comparison to the rest of the world over time and all of the places, yes, it is, and for two principle reasons: we are a nation founded on the very principles of individual liberty and the sanctity of human rights, and that as a necessary guarantee of that, we have Constitutional recognition of our fundamental and essential right to be able to prevail against threats from others who would take that away. That threat could be wearing a white pointy hood of a KKK outfit, a black mask, the uniform of a foreign army or a private security contractor, or even a uniform of authority we in every other circumstance otherwise respect. They could be coming to take your house or your business because someone's idea is that you own too much and it isn't fair that someone else has less, so the government should take it. They could be coming to your church because they don't think your religion should be allowed to meet because they consider it hateful. They could be coming to your house to force you to leave the neighborhood because someone of your skin color or the ideas you have doesn't suit the other people on your block.Exactly to whom the displeasure of public opinion or politics or the appetites of criminal predation shift their desire to disrupt, destroy, and devour changes upon mere whim of the times. They have the power of the majority in either case.

No amount of wishful thinking or "progress" changes that aspect of humanity. No utterance of "That won't happen here!" or "But we're better than that!" applies, as it already has happened and does happen, no matter what amount of "enlightenment" or "tolerance" and "diversity" you might believe in somehow shields us from basic sinful human nature.

You do, however, have the right to prevail against that action and live your life where and as you choose, by means of effective defense against sizeable threats. Whether it's one burglar with a baseball bat or ten people with burning torches (or crosses) and shotguns or two dozen or more with...well, shall we say more than that, the value of your human life and that of those you love, the basic essential human rights we have, the property which the fruits of your work and gifts of love from others bless us with, and the ability to pursue an abundant life with joy is all worth preserving against any force that would maliciously take it. It is because we have that ability that we do not see deprivation and harm more often than we do, or live lives under domination and repression which would not even allow us to see what we could have had--be it from one, ten, twenty, twenty thousand, or three hundred million imposing their will upon us.

Freedom not maintained or attainable by the individual is not freedom for long. It is only as good as the means by which one can assure it--not just in some post apocalyptic case of the world gone wrong, but in the world we live in now and always have since the dawn of civilization. We are not the exception to history in any other other way than we are the country of liberty and the country of individual rights which we the individual people hold and we the individual people secure, which has made us the most blessed nation on Earth ever.
    Kinda strange that it didn't get a response from anyone disagreeing with it. My guess is that the anti gun people have too low of a reading comprehension level.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

If it saves the life of just one kid would it be worth it?
    I see what you did there. NICE.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I quite agree. About two weeks ago I had posted the following: Kinda strange that it didn't get a response from anyone disagreeing with it. My guess is that the anti gun people have too low of a reading comprehension level.
    Yeah. For all we hear about them wanting to "start a National debate", I have yet to see any opposition actually attempt to discuss.

Good post, BTW.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Yeah. For all we hear about them wanting to "start a National debate", I have yet to see any opposition actually attempt to discuss.

Good post, BTW.
    I actually did have a few people I otherwise regard as friends post on their own pages some fake compassion, "we must do something", acting all righteous to look good to their liberal colleagues repeating nonsense that did invite discussion, but they refuse to be honest about their real motives or openly admit that they're wrong when everything they say is disproven. From what I can tell it's all about projecting an image, towing the party line to be on the same side as academics and their profession (psychology), to be good little conformists with their peer group else risk being ostracized or something. My in-laws are absolutely terrible about it, doing the whole prissy ultra pacifist nonsense to make themselves feel like they're cool being on the same side as the entertainment and news media they worship and somehow morally righteous in substitute for acts of a real faith. In both cases the problem is identity politics, a cultural blockade we absolutely must break and destroy as much as we can.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(York County)

Both well thought out and well written posts. I've gone on the offensive as well, after seeing so many BS posts calling for more gun control. I've found that the vast majority of discussions devolve into name calling absurdity by the left. They really have no valid facts or arguments to back a position.

In one discussion a friend of a mutual liberal acquaintance was proud of the fact that he had never even touched a gun, and no one in his or his wife's family owned one either. It was quite a holier than thou position. He went on to tell me he didn't care what the differences between guns were, even 10 rounds is too many, and people like me were responsible for all these murders. A completely ignorant ass&"!@ of the highest degree, and it was obvious to anyone reading the comments.

My final comment was of a similar vein: I offered to take any of my buddy's friends shooting if they were local and wanted to learn more. I'm sure that just torqued him to no end. I'm convinced more than ever that liberalism really is a disease in which the rational logic lobe of the brain disappears...

(Luzerne County)

Like anywhere else on the internet people seem to be compelled to respond weather they have something to say or even know what they are talking about.

I often cull people from my friends list or un follow them for a while. I also weed out pages that I have followed and gotten tired of the drama.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Like anywhere else on the internet people seem to be compelled to respond weather they have something to say or even know what they are talking about.

I often cull people from my friends list or un follow them for a while. I also weed out pages that I have followed and gotten tired of the drama.
    I must be a professional shit-stirrer, then. I don't get mad or loud or nasty. Just calm, matter-of-fact comments. I even corrected my wife's cousin on the whole AR-15 833 bullets a minute thing and pointed out the differences between cyclic rate and rate of effective fire and brought her down to about 120-180 rounds per minute and told her that using incorrect information diminished her arguments.

I think people may just be hiding my posts now.

(Chester County)

I found that if you don't look at it it's actually not there. Social media is a complete waste of time and energy. There's a whole life out there just waiting for you to live it.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I found that if you don't look at it it's actually not there. Social media is a complete waste of time and energy. There's a whole life out there just waiting for you to live it.
    Ya stodgy old poop! I might have expected a reaction like this from someone who still works around a 19th century mode of transportation. (I'm teasing. Don't get pissed off.)

I do understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree with you. While it may not be applicable in the circles in which you run, social media is a major force in many people's lives, especially those living in urban areas and those under the age of 30. Young people don' communicate in the same manner as you and I do/once did. As such, social media has the potential to be a driving force if used effectively. It played a very large role in getting Obama elected the first time due to his effective use of the medium. We, as supporters of 2A, cannot be so stodgy that we dismiss it outright as a triviality.

That's the whole reason that I brought up the thread in the first place. If there is a medium of discussion in the public forum in which the restriction or abolition of gun rights exists and we choose not to participate, then we have no right to bitch and moan if that forum lends itself to public action by the anti crowd. Silence means approval. As I mentioned in a separate thread, my wife's cousin was rallying people to ride with her to Toomey's main office to discuss anti-gun legislation a week or so ago. This is how many choose to communicate. Shit, even my 75 year old mother-in-law is on Facebook.

An anti-gun statement anywhere in society that does not have an opposing statement has some form of legitimacy simply due to the lack of an opposing statement. One with an opposing statement can usually be seen for what it is. And this is why we need to take the offensive on social media and not just sit back and react.

Facebook is a lot like gun ownership. If it's not your ball of yarn, then don't do it. Some folks like it.

And for the record, I really only use it to keep up with my wife's enormous family, Girl Scout activities and some for marketing my business. I believe I have less than 35 "friends" and most of those are in-laws.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast