Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook wars

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Facebook wars

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Have you had a Facebook argument where you changed your mind? I think it's like two kids saying nu uhhh, ah huhhh.
    Right...
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Delaware County)

The reason I got off facebook is because people act like idiots there and some of my family members kept posting child abuse stories. I deleted my account a few years ago. I opened a new one recently so I could get Tanners feed. My wife and daughter requested me as a friend and I denied them. I just want to know about good sales on guns in my neck of the woods.

I always wanted to suggest a Facebook challenge but thought better of it as it may be used against me latter.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lebanon County)

i didn't read the whole thread, but I hope someone pointed out that social media companies are actively doing things to make pro gun, pro Trump, or right wing posts be invisible to as many people as possible.

https://www.projectveritas.com/video...hadow-banning/

It's not just twitter. Facebook, and youtube do similar things as well. Even the comment sections of news websites do it.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Have you had a Facebook argument where you changed your mind? I think it's like two kids saying nu uhhh, ah huhhh.
    I think I've said this before upthread. My arguments (and they really aren't arguing. It's more Socratic teaching) aren't typically made to win over the person with which I'm having the discussion. It's for the dozens of people who are friends with one or both of us that may not have a fully formed opinion on the subject. If all that they hear and see on FB is deliberately false narratives posted by antis, that is what they will believe to be true. As such, I try to politely counter these posts with a logical, well laid out arguments based on actual figures and statistics rather than just emotion. I try to shoot down the false assumptions as well as the damn lies.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

stepping away from facefuck was about the best thing I ever did. I realized how many people I knew, that I really didn't like.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Who really wants to be a twat anyway?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I think I've said this before upthread. My arguments (and they really aren't arguing. It's more Socratic teaching) aren't typically made to win over the person with which I'm having the discussion. It's for the dozens of people who are friends with one or both of us that may not have a fully formed opinion on the subject. If all that they hear and see on FB is deliberately false narratives posted by antis, that is what they will believe to be true. As such, I try to politely counter these posts with a logical, well laid out arguments based on actual figures and statistics rather than just emotion. I try to shoot down the false assumptions as well as the damn lies.
    This has been my approach as well.

I have a cousin who is a middle/high school teacher near Baltimore, who grew up with and still owns guns, though she *leans* Fudd. We disagree on some - perhaps many - points on the current topic. She has friends who are teachers (duh), some of whom have never thought about these things before and have been presenting questions, some of which are purely logistical in nature. I have been offering my opinions, *mostly* on the logistical. Threads have been long, and full of disagreements, but civil, if not actually polite. I have met my goals there, and in a handful of other threads.

Unfortunately, there remain many people who - regardless of the amount and strength of the logic presented - cannot seem to wash the taste of the Kool-Aid out of their mouths. I know in advance that their response will be to shout me down and/or insult me until I get frustrated enough to leave, then claim that I caved because I finally realized their "truth". That effort is not worth my time, and is detrimental to our message.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    The funniest part is that I've been very polite through the whole thing. I even got called a Douche Canoe by a woman that writes children's books.
    I know what a canoe looks like, what does a douche canoe look like?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Who really wants to be a twat anyway?

Zactly. That said, I admit I have engaged to a point. Let's not forget, these ignorant, pigheaded, assholes don't process the information about guns in the same way a rational human typically does. I'm astounded at the lack of insight and knowledge they continually spew, and when an attempt to correct them is made, they go on a personal attack. I'm convinced they truly do have a mental disorder. It isn't just a tshirt saying, it's true. If any minds are changed, it never happens on the spot, but I like to give them something to think about for a while. Can't really see any point in engaging to the point of name calling, although I've been there too. Really can't invest too much in it other than entertainment anymore. Fuck these idiots.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I know what a canoe looks like, what does a douche canoe look like?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast