Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Do I need to clean my new pistol prior to firing it for the first time?

I am researching what products I would need to clean my new gun, and watching some tutorial videos, etc. One person seemed to recommend cleaning your gun before firing it for the first time. Thoughts?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Do I need to clean my new pistol prior to firing it for the first time?

Not sure if it's necessary, but I do. And I finish up with a touch of CLP on all the moving parts. Can't hurt, might help.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Do I need to clean my new pistol prior to firing it for the first time?

New firearms aren't dirty and don't need to be cleaned, although many shooters do it anyway to ensure proper lubrication and familiarity with the pistol. Mostly all firearms are factory tested (fired) to ensure quality, so you can feel safe that it won't blow up in your hand.

(Allegheny County)

IMO Its always a good idea to clean any new firearm before shooting.. You never know what kind of GUNK could be inside the barrel or on the slide..
    any of todays cleaners will work just fine.. I use a bore cleaner and finish with a gun oil..

(Cumberland County)

I think what's more important is making sure they are properly lubricated.
    Most guns often function 100% straight out of the box though. You won't know if you don't try it first though. If it's malfunctioning it probably has something to do with that though so lubricate it.
    I've had a gun that had some hiccups on the first time I took it out because it required librication in the beginning.
    It was the beretta px4 Storm compact. After I put some oil on it worked fine from then on out.

(Centre County)

This article seems extreme https://www.lewrockwell.com/2010/04/...-bought-a-gun/

But... I've always been a fan of being extremely cautious and taking good care of stuff I own so I think I'm actually going to take this guy's advice.

(Armstrong County)

Wouldn't be a bad thing. Most guns are just coated in rust prohibited/oil/grease when they leave the factory. This is just to keep rust from forming, it isn't in lubrication spots.

That being said.... will your pistol suddenly blow up, if you don't clean it the second you pull it out of the box? Very unlikely.

Do I consider it a good idea to do so anyways, not only to properly lubricate and more importantly, familiarize myself, with my new toy? Yeaaahhh buddy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    New firearms aren't dirty and don't need to be cleaned, although many shooters do it anyway to ensure proper lubrication and familiarity with the pistol. Mostly all firearms are factory tested (fired) to ensure quality, so you can feel safe that it won't blow up in your hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Wouldn't be a bad thing. Most guns are just coated in rust prohibited/oil/grease when they leave the factory. This is just to keep rust from forming, it isn't in lubrication spots.

That being said.... will your pistol suddenly blow up, if you don't clean it the second you pull it out of the box? Very unlikely.

Do I consider it a good idea to do so anyways, not only to properly lubricate and more importantly, familiarize myself, with my new toy? Yeaaahhh buddy.
    Seems to be an echo in this thread...

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Seems to be an echo in this thread...
    I don't understand

Seems like our posts are very similar though

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I don't understand

Seems like our posts are very similar though
    When repeating a previous post (almost verbatim) it is customary to acknowledge said poster, lest thread readers mistake you for being 'original'...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast