Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default What stores energy in the striker spring...trigger pull, or racking the slide?

What stores energy in the striker? Is it the trigger pull itself, or is it in racking the slide?

I ask because---I'd feel uncomfortable knowing the striker has stored energy for firing a bullet while it is in my holster. If however the only way to impart energy to the striker spring is by pulling the trigger, I'd feel MUCH more comfortable carrying. Judging by this animation of a Glock 23:

http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Interactive-Glock-Pistol

It certainly looks as though energy is stored in the striker spring by actually pulling the trigger. So when the slide is racked, and the gun is ready to fire---the striker is not "taut" and ready to hit the primer until YOU pull the trigger. Am I right? That'll be a huge comfort if so. Hahahaha

(Centre County)

Default Re: What stores energy in the striker spring...trigger pull, or racking the slide?

Looking at it again it actually appears most of the energy does indeed come from racking the slide. Some is added by the trigger pull?

(Perry County)

Default Re: What stores energy in the striker spring...trigger pull, or racking the slide?

The striker is "cocked" when the slide moves rearward. The pull of the trigger moves the striker slightly rearward, disengages the striker safety and releases the sear. To answer your question, the striker is held rearward against spring compression if the pistol is loaded.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

That's the main reason I carry a DA. I despise striker fired guns, I own one but dont use it.

(Berks County)

Now going back to the beginning of Glock's comming to America, Glock claimed there wasn't enough energy in the pre cocked striker spring until the trigger finished the cocking and released the striker. Other striker guns may be different. If there was a problem, the Internet would be smothered in the news. Use holsters that completely cover the trigger and keep your finger off the trigger.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    What stores energy in the striker? Is it the trigger pull itself, or is it in racking the slide?
    The striker stores no energy, except for inertia. The striker spring does however, in the form of potential energy. This occurs when the slide moves forward, after racking the slide or firing a round, and places the striker in a half-cocked position. Pulling the trigger, the trigger bar moves the striker back further, thus increasing potential energy in the striker spring. This energy is released and becomes kinetic energy when the sear on the trigger bar breaks from the nose of the striker, when the trigger is pulled.

As mentioned, keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target! IANAG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.