Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Utah vs. Florida non-resident permit

Hello all,
    I have noticed a number of facilities offering classes for Florida and Utah permits. I have my PA permit, but a Utah or Fla. non-resident would give me many states including Delaware, my main concern. Unless I am not seeing things correctly, the only difference besides cost of the actual permit, is that Fla will give me Kansas. Utah is cheaper to get and the renew is only ten dollars. Am I missing something?

Sorry, meant to put this in the Q & A section
    Last edited by rady8um; February 16th, 2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: wrong area

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Utah vs. Florida non-resident permit

I'm certified to teach the Utah CCW and you've got it right, FL gives you one or two more states that UT doesn't but UT is about $55 to $60 cheaper.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I'm certified to teach the Utah CCW and you've got it right, FL gives you one or two more states that UT doesn't but UT is about $55 to $60 cheaper.

Thanks, your website is what got me thinking about a UT non-res. The link you have to show the number of states you would be legal in was good too. The problem is, I'm on the other end of the PA. Anybody have any preference for a facility that teaches the Utah CCW class around Montco?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rady8um View Post
    Thanks, your website is what got me thinking about a UT non-res. The link you have to show the number of states you would be legal in was good too. The problem is, I'm on the other end of the PA. Anybody have any preference for a facility that teaches the Utah CCW class around Montco?
    Steve Silverman. www.f-r-i.com

Or check the Utah website. They have a listing of instructors.

(Jefferson County)

One thing too for FL, they accept your Hunter Safety Course certificate/card for the training requirement. Which may offset the cost difference between Utah and Florida. But taking a course, or refresher course, is alway a good idea.

(Cumberland County)

Hello all,
    I have noticed a number of facilities offering classes for Florida and Utah permits. I have my PA permit, but a Utah or Fla. non-resident would give me many states including Delaware, my main concern. Unless I am not seeing things correctly, the only difference besides cost of the actual permit, is that Fla will give me Kansas. Utah is cheaper to get and the renew is only ten dollars. Am I missing something?
    A FL permit is only good in KS if you're a FL resident. I don't know if that's a change from when the OP was posted in Feb 2007, but it's the case now. A UT permit will give you WA, NV, and MN, which the FL will not.

(Berks County)

As stated above, the Utah permit gives you a couple extra states, and it's a lot cheaper to apply for and renew.

(Delaware County)

I'm resurrecting but I think it's relevant.
    Why not get all three? Utah, Florida and Arizona.
    Imagine that Delaware sate cancel reciprocation with one of states, you have other two as back up.
    I have Arizona CCW but Delaware canceled (and now reinstated) reciprocation. Imagine if I was stopped by LEO when it was canceled.

(Franklin County)

Some people do have all three, some people collect permits like baseball cards, other people don't go to DE often enough to justify the cost of maintaining multiple permits just incase one of them loses reciprocity. I have FL because it got me OH (doesn't matter now though), I couldn't care less about DE.
    If your permit is no longer good in a particular state, don't carry there, that's what you do to keep from getting in trouble.

check King Shooter Supplies - they have classes for Utah. their web site should have their dates - i took the class there and it was well worth it. good facility and the instructor moved the class along pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast