Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about CCW for a fairly new PA resident

Hi - I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread. I am a fairly new resident of PA. I have been here 2 months and moved here from an anti 2nd amendment state, which was a big reason for my move. I have my PA driver's license, a clean record and $20 for the concealed weapons permit application. I went to the Bucks County Courthouse this morning with a completed concealed weapons permit application (including references), my PA drivers license and $20. The deputy ran my background check and could see that I moved to PA about 2 months ago. He asked me when I moved here and I told him. He then said my application would be put on hold until I could produce proof of residency, specifically 2 utility bills; PECO, Comcast etc. I had to produce this info when I changed my driver's license to PA. He said they have a lot of people moving in from my former state. He said I could go to the law library to log onto the computer to get that info or he would refund my money and I could come back with the utility bills. I had to get to work so I decided to come back. Of course this is a huge inconvenience because I don't live in Doylestown. Now I have to take another morning off from work to go back. My questions is this; IS THE REQUIREMENT TO PRODUCE TWO UTILITY BILLS IN ADDITION TO A PA DRIVERS LICENSE, NOTED IN LAW OR IS THAT THE BUCK'S COUNTY SHERIFF'S OWN POLICY? If it is in law, can you tell me specifically where so I can read it?

Thanks for any info you could provide.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: question about CCW for a fairly new PA resident

Never heard of anything like this in Bucks County.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: question about CCW for a fairly new PA resident

I was also a new resident when I applied.
    Went through local Montgomery County police check first.
    I think that has been eliminated.
    Application rejected.
    Appealed permit approved.
    Why who knows clean record.
    I would just follow their instructions.
    They really can make you an unhappy camper if they want to.
    I'd rather have a gun in my hand then a cop on the phone.

(York County)

I agree with the OP. Isn't your PA issued Drivers License proof of address? It certainly should be more credible than a utility bill.

(Blair County)

Unless he is alleging that OPs DL is a fake it should be more than ample to prove residency. I would call them and ask to talk to a supervisor. Worst they can do is tell you the same thing.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by F16vipers View Post
    Unless he is alleging that OPs DL is a fake it should be more than ample to prove residency. I would call them and ask to talk to a supervisor. Worst they can do is tell you the same thing.
    I doubt that was it. If he really thought it was fake, he would have confiscated it and arrested me. I'm going to play along and bring two utility bills. If I still get resistance then I will start taking notes, making phone calls and writing letters. I don't know what utility bills are supposed to prove at this point anyway. I have a PA DL. I can buy as many guns as I want. If they look in the computer, they will see I recently purchased pistols since I have become a PA resident. If I was a bad guy, why the heck would I apply for a concealed carry permit. I hope its not the deputy's or sheriff's own standards. I moved to PA to be more free than from where I came from and with the hope that LEOs were not hostile to non uniformed citizens exercising their rights.

Anyone else know where in the law it says that a DL is not enough for proof of residency for a concealed weapons permit?

(Lackawanna County)

When I first applied for my LTCF in Lackawanna county I was asked for utility bills/bank statements to prove residency. But this was because I was not a US citizen at the time. I gave them what they wanted and I got the LTCF no problem. I too had a PA DL but apparently that wasn't good enough. I just thought I'd throw that out there as a somewhat comparable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bernay View Post
    Hi - I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread. I am a fairly new resident of PA. I have been here 2 months and moved here from an anti 2nd amendment state, which was a big reason for my move. I have my PA driver's license, a clean record and $20 for the concealed weapons permit application. I went to the Bucks County Courthouse this morning with a completed concealed weapons permit application (including references), my PA drivers license and $20. The deputy ran my background check and could see that I moved to PA about 2 months ago. He asked me when I moved here and I told him. He then said my application would be put on hold until I could produce proof of residency, specifically 2 utility bills; PECO, Comcast etc. I had to produce this info when I changed my driver's license to PA. He said they have a lot of people moving in from my former state. He said I could go to the law library to log onto the computer to get that info or he would refund my money and I could come back with the utility bills. I had to get to work so I decided to come back. Of course this is a huge inconvenience because I don't live in Doylestown. Now I have to take another morning off from work to go back. My questions is this; IS THE REQUIREMENT TO PRODUCE TWO UTILITY BILLS IN ADDITION TO A PA DRIVERS LICENSE, NOTED IN LAW OR IS THAT THE BUCK'S COUNTY SHERIFF'S OWN POLICY? If it is in law, can you tell me specifically where so I can read it?

Thanks for any info you could provide.
    Md sucks! Welcome to Pa! I used to live behind enemy lines in Commieland. I live in Cameron County. You shouldn't have to do that. I walked in and was out of there in 15 minutes after backround check. I only showed them my DL.

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    When I first applied for my LTCF in Lackawanna county I was asked for utility bills/bank statements to prove residency. But this was because I was not a US citizen at the time. I gave them what they wanted and I got the LTCF no problem. I too had a PA DL but apparently that wasn't good enough. I just thought I'd throw that out there as a somewhat comparable experience.
    I am an American citizen. Born in Murica

Just an update - I went back today with a ton of documents demonstrating my residency however I didn't volunteer anything. I only presented the same completed CCW application (but dated today), my PA drivers license and $20. This time it was a non uniformed employee that did my background check. I passed, got my picture taken and was on my way within 20 minutes...didn't need to prove residency with anything other than my PA DL. The person that handled my application today was very nice and quick. The smoothness of the process today should have happened last Friday. Hopefully last Friday was a fluke and not going to happen to anyone else. If you are a fairly new resident, I recommend you bring your birth certificate, two utility bills, your voter registration and proof of your car insurance just in case an employee doesn't follow what is stipulated on the Sheriff's website as the requirements for a concealed weapons permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast