Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kahr break in period

Kahr recommends to put 200 rounds through their pistols to break them in, anyone have a Kahr and/or know how to break them in without putting 200 rounds through it? I've kept the slide open for a long period of time on several occasions (spring is pretty tight), took it apart, cleaned it, had it oiled as well. Anything else to try?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Kahr break in period

Simply keeping the slide open will have little effect on the recoil spring ... springs need to be cycled to have any significant effect. Manually cycling the slide may help as well shooting it. My CW9 never had any issues straight out of the box, but not all are the same. I would just shoot some cheaper FMJs out of it, and if you don't have any problems, then defensive JHP loads should work fine.

(Allegheny County)

Dry fire and racking the slide may help a bit. Bit I doubt there is anything better than actual live fire. Defiantly clean and lube the firearm before anything. Other than cleaning the only time I noticed a difference in a firearm was after live fire.

For what it's worth my CW9 shot 250 flawless rounds on its first range trip and all I did was clean it and dry fire it a little bit. I even tried to induce a failure by shooting at odd angles, limp wristing, etc.

Seeing as this is a Kahr I'm assuming this is a carry firearm. I would not trust any firearm weather it had a documented break in procedure or not until I put rounds (both target and defensive) down range. My personal number is 200 target rounds of the same weight as my chosen defensive round and 50 defensive rounds.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lancaster County)

Best suggestion I can give is to just put 200 rounds through it. I was lucky that my PM9 performed flawless from the very first shot out of the box to this day. My guess is 2500 by now.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

Seeing as this is a Kahr I'm assuming this is a carry firearm. I would not trust any firearm weather it had a documented break in procedure or not until I put rounds (both target and defensive) down range. My personal number is 200 target rounds of the same weight as my chosen defensive round and 50 defensive rounds.
    ^^^ this^^^

I won't trust any defensive firearm until I've fired a couple hundred rounds through it, including the ammo I intend to carry. If I'm trusting my life and the lives of my loved ones to it working, I want to be very confident it's going to work.

(Cumberland County)

That's the only issue I've had with Kahr - the break in period. I have a few used ones and they run flawless, the new ones absolutely needed the break in period and did take about 200 rounds to smooth out. I just could never understand why guns like Glock's run flawless out of the box, while Kahr's need break in ? Once broken in - love 'em. My K9 is an awesome carry piece. Good luck and congrats.

(Washington County)

I have put probably close to 1000 rounds in mine and kept the slide open and all that. Still really stiff. But that chould be a good thing. Maybe that means the spring is made to last?

Also not a fan or kahr products though.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    I have put probably close to 1000 rounds in mine and kept the slide open and all that. Still really stiff. But that chould be a good thing. Maybe that means the spring is made to last?

Also not a fan or kahr products though.
    When did you get your kahr. I know at some point they put in a lighter recoil spring.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to spend at least a few hundred rounds becoming familiar with what one would assume to be your carry gun. I have a CW9 and I did have a handful of failures during my break in period. I also polished my feed ramp and the inside lips of my magazines. After that it ran smooth as silk and I have zero qualms trusting my life and the life of my loved ones with it. If it's a financial issue, somethings are worth sacrificing for.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Northampton County)

Agree with ATBackpackin...

OP, take a look at Freedom Munitions if you are on a budget.
    First time orders are usually free shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast