Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Help me pick my second pistol

/Hi All,
    I'm an existing gun owner. I own/carry daily a Springfield XD subcompact I've been carrying daily for about 4 months. I am shopping for a second firearm. The role of the gun is range use and carry while hiking or fishing. I'd like to maybe OC it occasionally in cold weather.

Absolutely want in my next firearm:
    - Larger firearm.
    - More fun for target shooting / longer range shooting. When I say this however I don't mean pretending to be a sniper. I'd like something effective but challenging in the longer 25-100 yard range common in large indoor or smaller outdoor ranges.
    - Something more tweak-able. My carry gun has a nice set of sights but there's not that much in XD land.

Kind of want in my next firearm:
    - A different and more powerful cartridge than 9mm. I've been leaning towards .357 or 10mm. I fired a glock 20 and it was awesome. I know this will hurt my wallet some compared to 9.

The options right now:
    - Glock 17L or Glock 34 MOS
    - Glock 40 MOS
    - S&W 686 probably 6"
    - Distant possibility, pistol caliber carbine
    - Distant Possibility 1911 in 9 or 10mm

My questions really are:
    - How comfortable/uncomfortable is it to carry a larger gun? I don't want to do it all the time but I'd like to be able to take this out for the day. Obviously I'm not going to carry a 9" overall Glock 40 on a 90 degree day at the mall but I'd like to be able to tote it on hip to the range and back without cursing my stupidity.
    - I've fired a glock 20 and a S&W revolver so I know the rough recoil of these larger caliber handguns for 3-4 rounds but how does that do in the long run? Will I be pissy and sore if I shoot 150 in a session?
    - How hard is it to conceal a big gun in winter clothing? My XD vanishes in everything down to shorts and a tshirt. I know a glock 17 will print a ton in that wear... but I feel like i could hide anything with a sweatshirt or sweater on.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Help me pick my second pistol

I say get a Glock 17 Gen 4.

My questions really are:
    - How comfortable/uncomfortable is it to carry a larger gun? I don't want to do it all the time but I'd like to be able to take this out for the day. Obviously I'm not going to carry a 9" overall Glock 40 on a 90 degree day at the mall but I'd like to be able to tote it on hip to the range and back without cursing my stupidity.
    A good belt and holster will make or break how comfortable it is to carry and conceal a firearm. I suggest the bio-something belt by Daltech Force. That's my carry belt, and it is perfect. I like it better than my thebeltman.net belt and Jake belt (by Theis holsters). As for holsters, you gotta decide if you want leather or kydex. For hiking and outdoor use, I say go kydex.
    - I've fired a glock 20 and a S&W revolver so I know the rough recoil of these larger caliber handguns for 3-4 rounds but how does that do in the long run? Will I be pissy and sore if I shoot 150 in a session?
    Depends on your age, strength, and medical conditions (like arthritis). Personally, I'd stick 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP, but that's just me. It's all personal preference. Just bear in mind the cost of ammo. I like 9mm because it's cheap to buy in bulk, the recoil doesn't bother me at all, and I feel confident using it in self-defense. Again, personal preference.
    - How hard is it to conceal a big gun in winter clothing? My XD vanishes in everything down to shorts and a tshirt. I know a glock 17 will print a ton in that wear... but I feel like i could hide anything with a sweatshirt or sweater on.
    It comes down to what you wear. I like wearing loose fitting clothing. I can conceal a Sig P320 Carry (similar to a Glock 19) without any issues under a t-shirt or sweatshirt. When you buy clothes, keep this stuff in mind. As for shirts and sweatshirts, Carhartt apparel usually runs a little longer. Maybe take a look at their stuff.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Lancaster County)

I'm 6 foot one and 220 pounds. I can hide a Glock 17 all day long and practically never know it's there myself. You will be surprised larger guns don't take that much more to hide.
    In my opinion every shooter needs a good revolver. You should be able to find a used Ruger or Smith And Wesson for close to what you paid for that XD. But if you're at the beginning stages of building a collection give some thought to caliber consolidation. If you already have a nine is nothing wrong with getting another one. The possibilities are endless, that's the fun of this.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

I'm sadly 5'11 while still 220 and I figure I could also conceal a larger gun easily. It's been amazing how easy it is to deal with ccw-ing. Coming from NJ to this was intimidating but it really is no big deal and helps me keep myself and the almost missus safe.

I'm not too concerned if I spend more than the XD on the next one. The XD was utilitarian, I wanted to get a smallish pistol and did. The next purchase I want to be able to show off a bit so to speak. The problem is there are literally so many ways I'm torn with the good looks of a stainless revolver, or the overall bad-assery of a larger caliber semi auto. I am getting a lot of votes for the G17 and admittedly I like the gun. I fired a glock 20 though and good lord was the bang of the 10mm fun and that was just federal practice ammo.

(Lancaster County)

I vote 1911 in .45 - Sorry you're not closer or you could try mine. Shells aren't too expensive, nice gun - plenty of really nice ones to choose from - something of a resurgence in the caliber / "platform" (Gawd, but I hate that term) price range from $450 to $50,000 (if you want one made out of a meteorite)... good ones around $750. Accurate, easy to shoot well, I find mine easier to conceal than my Glock. can be had in 10mm or even .357 mag.

Ultimately, borrow as many friends pistols as you can and shoot them all (rent range rentals if you can also) find which one fits you best, then research the smack out of it !

Bon Chance ! Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lancaster County)

Forgot to add, you can get a .22 slide conversion for about $300 and use it to practice for cheap- I am pretty close to the point where my conversion has paid for itself .

.22 = $8-10 for 100 rounds .45 = $18-20 for 50 rounds (practice ammo)= like 7-10 boxes of ammo (maybe 20, my brain is tired, and algebra isn't working at the moment ... depends on whether or not you need to factor in the price of the ammo you're shooting, or just the difference...)

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

Glock G41 for a long slide or the G21 for the standard length in .45acp. You would be surprised how easy it is to hit a B27 target at 100yds with one. Tons of upgrades and easy as lego blocks to work on. You will get way more ammo for the money you will spend on 10mm.

Hmm do you have to hold very far up one a .45 to shoot at that distance?

Also do you / have you carried either of these? Is it hard to do so concealed? I'm not opposed to openly carrying but whatever I get I intend to carry occasionally because why not

(Bucks County)

Nothing wrong with a Glock that meets your needs, but when you said you wanted to display it a bit . . . well, it seemed to me that's like displaying a bad rash as if it were a tattoo We're all different I guess.

Anyhow, 1911s come in a wide variety of tones and grips and many are simply gorgeous pieces. There are basic, enhanced, and custom versions that can provide real precision gains. The triggers and bore axis improve most shooters' precision as well. Because of 45ACP popularity, ammo is readily available and future SHTF availability and relative price will likely be second only to 9mm. The recoil is more of a push than a crack, and you can shoot one all day.

When comparing "carryability" of full size pistols, a single stack is always going to print less than a double stack of similar barrel length and height.

Anyhow, enjoy your acquisition process . . . it's always fun lol.

ETA: Most folks ultimately find the hand cannons too tiring and ultimately too expensive for significant range use. You might be one of the exceptions, but IME the cannons make good 3rd or 4th pistols.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; June 20th, 2016 at 01:31 PM.

(Washington County)

Glock 17 for the win. I hide one year round in a KT Mech kydex holster.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast