Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hows your Identity?

Its tax time again, and seems to be every one has a tip on how to keep your identity to yourself… I have one too!

From paper shredders to companies who have sensitive paper disposal and make it available to their employees… the hype is on. They say your name and address is all someone really needs to get started in identity theft. Many companies including your bank give you tips on not filling forms on the internet. How many of us receive 4 or 5 demands to renew our password each week? I get a few from ebay per month! Have received many from banks I don’t even belong to.

Most of us receive sensitive information like Credit card proposals and just throw them in the trash… Oddly enough, garbage storage areas are a place many look for things to salvage… Metals, plastics… and your Identity!

How many of us throw away our old car registrations, Old drivers permit, Old tax papers, Old papers we no longer need that have information on it that others can use… Chances are if it came by snail mail, it has too much info on it.

There is a simple solution to all of this. And most of us throw that away as well! Coffee cans are pretty tough; you can build a very small fire in a coffee can and get rid of all your old papers in a few minutes. That of course is if you don’t have a fire place or wood burning stove. You don’t need much to get rid of papers that could give your identity away. Just an old can, a few matches and or lighter and your papers. If you use the Coffee can method, chances are you will have a new coffee can pretty soon to replace this last burnt out one. When is all said and done, and things have cooled off, just place that plastic lid on it, and send that to the dump. Now no one can take your sensitive info and use it to gain your credit.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Perry County)

Default Re: Hows your Identity?

Not me...I'm a fanatic about shredding. We shred anything that comes in the mail and has our name on it. If it's not a bill to be paid, it gets run through the old cross-cut shredder. And, to be extra-safe, my cat likes to play in it and mix it up REAL good. LOL!

(Philadelphia County)

I use the shredder as well.

I remember reading a while ago, that is is not smart to burn junk mail, or any other mail for that matter, because the ink used to print it can cause toxic fumes.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(York County)

Shredded paper burns real well in the wood stove, and I have 3 more boxes to burn. This also cuts down on heating costs and helps the garden grow.

Calvin

(Westmoreland County)

I'm definitely a serial shredder
    I own guns!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    I'm a fanatic about shredding.
    Sad but true - we have been doing the same for years.

(Cambria County)

I use the shredder, too. The remains make nice worm bedding and after the wormies are done with it, the compost barrel has its turn, and then the garden.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    I use the shredder, too. The remains make nice worm bedding and after the wormies are done with it, the compost barrel has its turn, and then the garden.
    So if I plan on stealing your identity, its to your garden I go! I cant believe you'd be so LAX about this!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    So if I plan on stealing your identity, its to your garden I go! I cant believe you'd be so LAX about this!
    After it's been composted, there's no identity to steal! Nothing but brown, crumbly dirt that has lots of nutrients for the plants. (Apparently, you don't know much about what happens to shredded paper that's used as worm bedding/food--it goes through their digestive tracts first--and the composting process--that includes being mixed with grass/leaves/vegetable scraps and horse/cow/sheep POOP and then it goes through a process where it "cooks" down--that finishes the remains into nutrient-rich DIRT) Good luck finding anything in THAT!
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    Not me...I'm a fanatic about shredding. We shred anything that comes in the mail and has our name on it. If it's not a bill to be paid, it gets run through the old cross-cut shredder. And, to be extra-safe, my cat likes to play in it and mix it up REAL good. LOL!
    sell it as hamster litter XD
    Gott mit uns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast