Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default July 4th at Independence Mall

First off...I did a search on the forum and only found results from 6+ years ago. So, looking for anyone with more recent info/experience...I have a two-part question:

1) Has anyone attended the weekend celebrations, either on the 2nd, 3rd, or the 4th itself. Thinking about taking the family on one of those days for an all-day excursion at/around the Independence Mall grounds.

2) Thoughts on concealed carry during such event. I'm aware of not being able to carry into the federal buildings themselves, but simply wanting to protect myself while out in public like I normally would.

Any response, much appreciated

Default Re: July 4th at Independence Mall

Just my 2 cents but a better way to protect the family that conceal carry would be avoiding large crowds and high profile events during the last week of Ramadan. ISIS religious leaders have promised their supporters they will go to an "enhanced paradise" if they kill Westerners in the last 10 days of Ramadan.

Odds may be low of an actual attack (even though these events are increasing) but that's just how I like to keep my profile... low.

Depends where you are going. A couple of places do security checks and have no weapons policies. Liberty bell for one.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Just my 2 cents but a better way to protect the family that conceal carry would be avoiding large crowds and high profile events during the last week of Ramadan. ISIS religious leaders have promised their supporters they will go to an "enhanced paradise" if they kill Westerners in the last 10 days of Ramadan.

Odds may be low of an actual attack (even though these events are increasing) but that's just how I like to keep my profile... low.
    We had thought of that...so we were leaning towards likely attending on either the 2nd or 3rd.

(Montgomery County)

From the NPS website for Independence Mall buildings:

Security
    Visitors must pass through a security screening area to visit the buildings on Independence Square, including Independence Hall. The screening area is located adjacent to Old City Hall, near the corner of 5th and Chestnut Streets. To maximize your visit to the park, and minimize your security screening time, the park recommends that you bring only small bags, if necessary. The fewer items you have to be checked, the more time you will have to enjoy the buildings on Independence Square. No weapons, pepper spray, or pocket knives are permitted through security.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Depends where you are going. A couple of places do security checks and have no weapons policies. Liberty bell for one.
    I'm aware of the weapons policies for inside the federal buildings themselves...I was wondering if anyone had experience CC'ing specifically on previous July 4th weekend events...on the Mall grounds themselves (i.e. outdoors).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    From the NPS website for Independence Mall buildings:

Security
    Visitors must pass through a security screening area to visit the buildings on Independence Square, including Independence Hall. The screening area is located adjacent to Old City Hall, near the corner of 5th and Chestnut Streets. To maximize your visit to the park, and minimize your security screening time, the park recommends that you bring only small bags, if necessary. The fewer items you have to be checked, the more time you will have to enjoy the buildings on Independence Square. No weapons, pepper spray, or pocket knives are permitted through security.
    Thank you Cyclops...I'm actually curious if anyone has previous experience CC'ing outside...during the holiday weekend.

(Chester County)

I wont talk to the federal land or carrying in Phila - I know at the big events in Philly there are a TON of cops all over the place. Like a dozen on every street corner.
    If you CC and keep printing to a min, you should be okay.

(Philadelphia County)

I've CCed outside to the events without issue
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwooddog View Post
    I wont talk to the federal land or carrying in Phila - I know at the big events in Philly there are a TON of cops all over the place. Like a dozen on every street corner.
    If you CC and keep printing to a min, you should be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    I've CCed outside to the events without issue
    Thanks for sharing...looks like we are going on the 2nd.

We just moved to the region last year and want to do July 4th celebrations in Philly, Boston, and DC over the next few years.

Obviously I won't carry in Boston or DC...but who knows, maybe we'll get National Reciprocity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast