Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Can you gift an AR lower in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    So the other question is...

Do people actually gift each other coffee tables?
    Yep, being young and just married our friends were upgrading their furniture and we got the coffee table and a kitchen table!

(York County)

Wink Re: Can you gift an AR lower in PA?

Then why don't we have background checks on coffee table sales? We should close the loophole on coffee tables, all this gifting of coffee tables. It's for the children!

It's not a rifle, shotgun, pistol, or revolver.
    NRA Life Member

Can be sold FTF. Must pa pa resident and 21+ years old since it could be used for a pistol build.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    21+ years old
    No, you don't.

since it could be used for a pistol build.
    That's not how that works.
    NRA Life Member

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Simple question, with hopefully a simple answer.

Can I gift a stripped lower to a friend privately in PA? My inclination was yes, but I just wanted to confirm with the people of PAFOA.
    As long as it was never a pistol... Yes.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Jefferson County)

Can be sold FTF. Must pa pa resident and 21+ years old since it could be used for a pistol build.
    Only transfers from a FFL of handguns and "other firearms" have to be to a person who is 21yo per federal law.

PA regulates transfers of "firearms", and only "firearms". A bare receiver is not a "firearm" for PA(except to prohibited persons).

There is no minimum age requirement for a non-"firearm" in PA. You can legally give a bare AR15 receiver to a newborn, freshly squeezed from a vag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

I assume federal rules also count in Pa.

Sorry I can't figure out how to cut and paste this but here is the the FEDERAL form 4473 Look at the answer to question 18 (type of transfer)

It says if a receiver can ONLY be made into a rifle or shotgun it is still a firearm under federal rules but OK for over 18's (not sure if it means you can't have one under 18). But. If it can be made into a pistol you have to be 21 (and it cannot be transferred to one). Not sure if these rules are ONLY for transfers by FFL's (I am sure others will reply)

You can download the 4473 ( with instructions) directly from this link
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Fvqr4g&cad=rja
    Last edited by Delkal; June 16th, 2016 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Yes, but most "federal rules" are FFL mandates. For example, you can buy multiple pistols or revolvers from different FFLs in the same day without an 3310.4 because it's not your requirement, it's the FFLs requirement.

Sorry I can't figure out how to cut and paste this but here is the the FEDERAL form 4473 Look at the answer to question 18 (type of transfer)

It says if a receiver can ONLY be made into a rifle or shotgun it is still a firearm under federal rules but OK for over 18's (not sure if it means you can't have one under 18).
    Hmm, no. No, it doesn't. In fact, it specifically states the opposite.

Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long gun, is a “firearm other than a shotgun or rifle,” it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21.
    But. If it can be made into a pistol you have to be 21 (and it cannot be transferred to one).
    No, the logical structure of the age restrictions is pretty clear. 18 USC 922(b)(1)

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
    (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
    Anything except for a "rifle" or "shotgun" requires the purchaser to be 21+, full stop.

Not sure if these rules are ONLY for transfers by FFL's (I am sure others will reply)
    Yes, they are only for transfers by FFLs. However, PA criminalizes transfers of "firearms" (see 18 PA CS 6102) except from any FFL except FFL/03, or to any FFL including FFL/03.
    Last edited by greenjohn88; June 17th, 2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo
    NRA Life Member

(Jefferson County)

It says if a receiver can ONLY be made into a rifle or shotgun it is still a firearm under federal rules but OK for over 18's (not sure if it means you can't have one under 18). But. If it can be made into a pistol you have to be 21 (and it cannot be transferred to one). Not sure if these rules are ONLY for transfers by FFL's (I am sure others will reply)

You can download the 4473 ( with instructions) directly from this link
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Fvqr4g&cad=rja

Federal law says that you have to be 21yo to buy ANY firearm from a FFL. THEN, it exempts RIFLES and SHOTGUNS, allowing persons who are 18yo to purchase them.

A receiver is not a rifle or shotgun, so you have to be 21yo to buy from a FFL. ....just like pistol grip only shotguns(aka street sweeper type pump guns).

Any type of receiver can be made into any type of gun. A Remington 700(boltgun) receiver can be made into a handgun, same with a Winchester 94 receiver. A 1911 receiver can be made into a rifle. Hell, even a derringer receiver can be made into a rifle - FMJ/Cobray/Lienad made some shotguns/rifles/combination guns with a shoulderstock and longer barrels using their derringer receivers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast