Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Choosing my first pistol.

I'm a new shooter, just took a basic pistol course. I was given a Glock 19 to fire my first shots. I actually did really well for it being my first time shooting! Anyway now I'm certain I want to take the next steps to choose my first pistol. My intention is to go to a local range which rents out guns of different types and try some of the following:
    -Glock 43
    -S&W Shield
    -Springfield XDS or whichever is the smaller type like the above two

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wind up wanting to get a Glock. I know there's disagreement out there, but, I don't think I've heard as many or as glowing reviews about reliability about any other maker.

Oh and something occurred to me. Semi automatics are always going to have less recoil than a revolver...right? Or not. Not sure why I assumed that, perhaps it is not true?
    Last edited by darnskewered; June 10th, 2016 at 04:46 PM.

Default Re: Choosing my first pistol.

make sure you try out a walther ppq m2 (full size). if you want something smaller, the pps m2.... both in 9mm. the pps m2 is around the size of the shield but feels and shoots better, imo.

(Chester County)

You've already fired my recommendation. My Gen4 G19 is my favorite for year round carry. If you're looking for something smaller look at a G26. Advantage is that it can use G19 or17 magazines unlike the 43.

As to recoil a lot will depend on weight of the revolver and caliber. Hold a number of pistols and find the one that fits you best and has the features you want.

(Susquehanna County)

If you're not in the need of the pistol for everyday carry and defense, I suggest you get a good quality cal. .22 Sport Pistol like the Buckmark or Ruger or even the S&W M&P .22. Use it to learn basic marksmanship, you can develop all the skills needed with one. The guns themselves aren't that expensive and ammo is still cheap, so you can shoot a lot and not break the bank. The gun will last for a lifetime and you'll probably never willingly want to part with it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

Speaking of recoil, I don't know why but for some reason my FNP-45cal. pushes back, while other cal. tend to point the muzzle up when shooting. Try a 45.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Centre County)

I agree with the .22 as a starter handgun. Easy to shoot, cheap to shoot, probably won't form any bad habits (flinching, etc.) with it and you can always sell it if you want to move up to a larger caliber when you're ready (but I doubt you would, everyone should have a .22 around).

You're in my neck of the woods and I have a consignment gun in my shop right now. It's a S&W 22A-1 with 3 magazines and the seller doesn't want a whole lot for it (under $300). Drop me a PM and I can give you more specifics and tell you how to get to my place if you want to talk.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    . . . I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wind up wanting to get a Glock. I know there's disagreement out there, but, I don't think I've heard as many or as glowing reviews about reliability about any other maker.

Oh and something occurred to me. Semi automatics are always going to have less recoil than a revolver...right? Or not. Not sure why I assumed that, perhaps it is not true?
    Assuming you want your first pistol to be 9mm, the next step is what are you going to use it for?

If you are going to carry it every day, then that size pistol is a good choice. OTOH, if you are not going to carry it concealed, there's not a lot of point to the mid-sized, medium capacity Glock. A full sized pistol will serve much better as a range toy and/or for home defense. Higher capacity, heavier, and lower recoil which generally translates to improved accuracy.

Glocks are as reliable as Berettas, Sigs, CZs, and many others. All have had and will have their issues in the future, but those brands are among the best.

If the pistol will mostly be used as a range gun, eventually accuracy becomes a factor. There are few general market 9mm pistols as accurate as the CZ line, and none more reliable. The bore axis on the CZ is lower than the Glock, so there will be less muzzle flip which may or may not be meaningful to you as the shooter. Whatever size you choose, if you can shoot a CZ during your test don't turn down the opportunity.

If you are not fixated on 9mm, the earlier recommendations of 22LR as a good first pistol deserve consideration. There is virtually no recoil, so this pistol will show you exactly how much you as the shooter contribute to group size on paper. The ammo is still cheaper . . . about $0.06 vs $0.24 per round or more for 9mm. Good choices for ACCURATE 22LR pistols include Ruger Mark II (used) or III (new) and Browning Buck Mark are excellent choices where a premium is placed on accuracy. The Ruger SR22 looks more like a "pistol", but IME is considerably less accurate than the Mark III.

Finally a pistol can generally have less recoil effect than a revolver due to the action of the slide and the lower bore axis. But many revolvers are heavier than plastic pistols, and the extra weight reduces felt recoil considerably. Another reason to look at steel frame pistols like the CZ75.

Welcome aboard, GLHF, and stay safe.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    You've already fired my recommendation. My Gen4 G19 is my favorite for year round carry. If you're looking for something smaller look at a G26. Advantage is that it can use G19 or17 magazines unlike the 43.

As to recoil a lot will depend on weight of the revolver and caliber. Hold a number of pistols and find the one that fits you best and has the features you want.
    I must be doing something wrong, I've found the G26 difficult to conceal.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

So many great top tier pistols have 22 kits cz, glock, sig....get what feels most natural

(Allegheny County)

My first handgun ruger p90

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast