Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default prescription shooting glasses in the Lancaster area

I would like to be able to see my front sights without tilting my head waaaaaay back. Can anyone recommend a Lancaster County optometrist who is knowledgeable about the shooting sports and who knows how to work with shooters who want to be able to see their front sights?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: prescription shooting glasses in the Lancaster area

Quote Originally Posted by myupspilot View Post
    I would like to be able to see my front sights without tilting my head waaaaaay back. Can anyone recommend a Lancaster County optometrist who is knowledgeable about the shooting sports and who knows how to work with shooters who want to be able to see their front sights?
    I tried this. By the time I got lenses that would show the front site clear and sharp the target was just a vague blur down range. No way I was going to hit it with any sort of accuracy or reliability.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Montgomery County)

I think you want bifocals or progressive.

(Delaware County)

I bought my first shooting glasses 2 years ago, the same time I got my first progressives (that’s the good bifocal lenses, for you young pups who still have your 20/20 ). Here is what *I* did:

I have been wearing glasses since I was 6 for progressively – albeit slowly – worsening myopia (nearsightedness). About 4 years ago I started having trouble seeing close-up with my glasses on. After some internal struggle I finally bit the bullet (HAHAHAHAHA - ahem) and resigned myself to some kind of multi-focal lenses. I knew that this would affect my shooting, insofar as my sights and my targets would be at different distances and therefore in different parts of the lenses. I did some online research into shooting glasses, and shooting *with* glasses, before deciding what to do.

I told the eye doc it was time for bifocals. She handed me a printed card and told me to read it. As I looked down at it she measured the distance (16”) from my eye to the card – this would be my reading distance. After determining my standard (aka distance) prescription the card was mounted 16” from my eyes, in front of the machine, and the adjustments were made to determine my reading (aka near) prescription. Here is where it got fun. I had her remove the card and I physically held up the slide (only) from my 1911 and had her adjust again until the front sight was crisp and clear at my shooting distance of 23”. I now had my prescriptions determined for both eyes for far, near, and front sight.

As noted above I knew that shooting with progressives would involve a lot of tilting my head up and down, plus I didn’t want to risk what would be a $350 pair of need-them-everyday glasses shooting IDPA matches. I bought a pair of eyepro (http://www.esseyepro.com/Crosshair-O...90_detail.html ) and a prescription insert ( http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html ) for them. I brought the empty insert with me when I ordered my regular glasses and had the same lab do both sets of lenses. Here’s the key: my shooting glasses have just my standard (distance) prescription in the left eye, and just my front sight prescription in the right (shooting) eye. This allows me to see everything going on around me – and what’s happening to my targets – with my left eye, while still being able to focus on my front sight when it matters.

I currently shoot exclusively IDPA, and this works for me with standard iron sights on my 1911. A bullseye shooter using optics would have different requirements, rifle shooters still other requirements. There are lots of opinions and discussions out there, but this Is what I do.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by myupspilot View Post
    I use my regular progressive glasses for shooting. It works for me.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my question.

(Berks County)

Unfortunately I think it's time for me to get progressives.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I bought my first shooting glasses 2 years ago, the same time I got my first progressives (that’s the good bifocal lenses, for you young pups who still have your 20/20 ). Here is what *I* did:

I have been wearing glasses since I was 6 for progressively – albeit slowly – worsening myopia (nearsightedness). About 4 years ago I started having trouble seeing close-up with my glasses on. After some internal struggle I finally bit the bullet (HAHAHAHAHA - ahem) and resigned myself to some kind of multi-focal lenses. I knew that this would affect my shooting, insofar as my sights and my targets would be at different distances and therefore in different parts of the lenses. I did some online research into shooting glasses, and shooting *with* glasses, before deciding what to do.

I told the eye doc it was time for bifocals. She handed me a printed card and told me to read it. As I looked down at it she measured the distance (16”) from my eye to the card – this would be my reading distance. After determining my standard (aka distance) prescription the card was mounted 16” from my eyes, in front of the machine, and the adjustments were made to determine my reading (aka near) prescription. Here is where it got fun. I had her remove the card and I physically held up the slide (only) from my 1911 and had her adjust again until the front sight was crisp and clear at my shooting distance of 23”. I now had my prescriptions determined for both eyes for far, near, and front sight.

As noted above I knew that shooting with progressives would involve a lot of tilting my head up and down, plus I didn’t want to risk what would be a $350 pair of need-them-everyday glasses shooting IDPA matches. I bought a pair of eyepro (http://www.esseyepro.com/Crosshair-O...90_detail.html ) and a prescription insert ( http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html ) for them. I brought the empty insert with me when I ordered my regular glasses and had the same lab do both sets of lenses. Here’s the key: my shooting glasses have just my standard (distance) prescription in the left eye, and just my front sight prescription in the right (shooting) eye. This allows me to see everything going on around me – and what’s happening to my targets – with my left eye, while still being able to focus on my front sight when it matters.

I currently shoot exclusively IDPA, and this works for me with standard iron sights on my 1911. A bullseye shooter using optics would have different requirements, rifle shooters still other requirements. There are lots of opinions and discussions out there, but this Is what I do.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...
    If you got your lenses online, you wouldn't be risking 3 or 400 bucks. I get my glasses from Zenni Optical for about $40. Progressive lenses. If you want lenses just for shooting, or computer use, there are instructions on their site for modifying the prescription. My progressives work fine for pistols, and I use single vision distance lenses for open sight or scoped rifle. The single vision glasses cost about 25 bucks.

(Delaware County)

I need +2 glasses for reading, but +1.25 is ideal for me for shooting (clear pistol sights with slightly fuzzy target). I was able to find safety glasses on Amazon (NOT bi-focals) with a choice of powers for about $12. I have read that a slightly out of focus target helps keep you from getting freaked-out over getting a "perfect" sight picture. Works for me.