Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Place to sell scrap brass near Hamburg?

I pick up most of the centerfire brass that I come across at my range. I take it home, sort out and tumble what I reload and throw the rest in a bucket. I've sold some of the surplus to a local metal recycling place but a friend tells me there's a recycling place in the general vacinity of Cabelas in Hamburg. He couldn't remember the name of the place and only gave me a general idea where it was. He said he got a very good price there compared to what they were paying in my local area.

Does anyone know the name of the place? If you've sold scrap brass lately, what do they pay?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Place to sell scrap brass near Hamburg?

Down 61 behind the walmart almost in Reading is a metal recycler, don't know of one "in" Hamburg, I know they have that scrap place at the light on 61, but I thought it was all paper and plastic recycling myself.

What brass you have that you don't reload? Worth more as once fired brass than as scrap. You may want to make a list and post it here for sale, If there is anything I would need I would buy from you! I am right by Strausstown myself, go through Hamburg everyday.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

if it was me id seperate it all and make a list of everything if you really dont want it, myself I pick up brass and once I get enough to reload of one size I get the dies and reload them, then I buy a gun to go with them Im not to far from cabelas eather I make a trip there atleast twice a month.

(Berks County)

The recycling center is Cougle's Recycling in Hamburg. It's on rt. 61 right at the intersection to go into Hamburg.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Co...ESS&id=2397726

I clean up everything that's brass at the range, at least what I shoot, just to keep from leaving it behind. I have quite a bit of .22 lr brass piled up in a box that will go to scrap eventually since it's obviously not reloadable, but everything else that's reloadable, I save and either sell or trade for what I need/want.

(Berks County)

That's it Cougles!

I didn't know they did metals though, always see the pallets and trailers full of paper and scrap plastic mess all over.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Last time I was there was about 10 years ago. I don't know what they are accepting now, but at the time I was there they did take metals. I can't see them not taking metals now though.

(Lancaster County)

I think Cougle's Recycling is what I'm looking for. What I have is not necessarily "once fired," it's just range pickup. \

The big advantage of the recyler is that there is very little work and hassle involved. I went through a time where I cleaned, sorted and packaged brass to sell at a gun show. I sold some but found it really wasn't worth the trouble.

I did get some 45 GAP brass that was definitely in demand. Found a buyer on the web for that.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger7 View Post
    I think Cougle's Recycling is what I'm looking for. What I have is not necessarily "once fired," it's just range pickup. \

The big advantage of the recyler is that there is very little work and hassle involved. I went through a time where I cleaned, sorted and packaged brass to sell at a gun show. I sold some but found it really wasn't worth the trouble.

I did get some 45 GAP brass that was definitely in demand. Found a buyer on the web for that.

Thanks for the info.
    When/if you get info on their price per pound for brass, let me know. If you take a trip up there to dump brass, let me know. We could carpool up to save on gas and hit Cabela's while we're up there.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    When/if you get info on their price per pound for brass, let me know. If you take a trip up there to dump brass, let me know. We could carpool up to save on gas and hit Cabela's while we're up there.
    Im my earlier (a week or 2 ago) research, I called Cougles. The lady I talked had all kinds of prices for brass but none of them said anything like "brass cartridge cases". She said I'd just have to go to the guy that buys it and ask. She claimed he could not be reached by phone.

I've sort of resigned myself to driving there tomorrow. I'm hoping for $1.50 per pound (as reported by my friend who really wasn't sure which place he went to.) Locally (Lancaster area) $1.00 per pound seems the max they'll pay. Some places still only pay $.65 - $.80. If you have a couple hundred pounds of brass, the $.50+ difference adds up and easily pays for the gas, especially if you like going to Cabellas anyway.

I'll try to get specifics, if I get there soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast