Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Couldn't believe it

My daughter and I were at the range a month ago and we were talking to guy. Out of his range bag he pulled a 9 mm Smith & Wesson and the right side of it, from the ejector port back about an inch, it was flared out like the end of and old Blunderbuss, said his buddy has been loading his ammo for him for years, but he's getting pretty old now. Said when he pulled the trigger it sounded like a Canon went off and besides splitting the side open, blew the magazine right out all the pistol also. He said he didn't get hurt, but was sore. I could kick myself for not thinking about taking a picture with my cell phone. I don't think I'll ever forget seeing it. I often wonder what kind of powder he used. I use bull's-eye and if you double charge it, the excess spills all over the place.
    Last edited by joeyj; June 6th, 2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: grammer

(Chester County)

Default Re: Couldn't believe it

That's one of the reasons I like using Unique for my 45 acp loads. It almost fills the case unlike Bullseye which takes up only half the case and for a couple of reasons including double charges I don't like or use Bullseye. I don't trust other people's loads either.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

Those 2 powders for me only for the simple fact that has already been stated. A double is next to impossible unless you are willfully trying to hurt yourself.

I will not reload without my RCBS Lock-Out die.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Lehigh County)

I reload 115 gr 9mm and 180 gr 40 S&W with 4.3gr and 4.4gr of Titegroup respectively with a Dillon 550B press. I visually check every case prior to putting a bullet on it to make sure that it looks OK and I weigh every 20th or so round to make sure the powder die is working properly.
    NRA Life Member

(Montgomery County)

How does one double charge a pistol case? I cannot imagine how it can happen with a properly set up loader.
    I use a Dillon SDB progressive loader so my experience is limited to that. I load rifle rounds with a Lee hand press (single stage). On the Dillon, the powder bar does not accept a charge from the hopper until the cases are moving to the next stage. It is possible to short stroke the handle and move a round past the powder drop (potentially creating a squib) but I can't figure out how it could double charge.

I'm not saying it can't happen, I just don't know how.