Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: PA to Consider Replacing PICS with NICS

Greetings,

Leon, I'm sure all the issues you bring up regarding problems with PICs are real. I also really appreciate the efforts by FOAC. I disagree with the bill that would kill PICs and go to NICS.

So, my primary question is who can we hold accountable for the shortcomings of PICs? Who in State gov are PASP answerable to in this regard? What can be done to FIX the system without further ceding our rights to the Feds and all of the problems inherent with NICs?

Finally, is there any pending or proposed legislation to attempt to resolve the PICs issues without killing off the entire system? I would be willing to discuss any suggestions and work with legislators, but am not sure what may already have been on the the table. Thanks!

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    What people here aren't seeing is all of the fuck ups made by PSP who feel they are above the law.

(Jefferson County)

There is nothing that we can do to fully get away from background checks due to the Brady Bill. So, here is what we can do to improve our situation:

1. Stay with PICS
    a. Move the surcharge from the point of transaction to the General Fund(the general population benefits from the background check that prohibits "bad people" from acquiring arms through legal means of commerce).
    b. Invest in a redundant server system(s) hosted in other locations within the state in the event of main server fault.
    c. Invest in redundant data connections at each server location - (big businesses, airports, other govt buildings, etc already do this)
    d. Mirror the content of the servers VERY regularly of any updated changes.
    e. Hire and better train more operators for the PICS system that can be called in during peak demand times(gun shows, after mass-shootings, hunting seasons, other political events).

2. Implement into law the requirement that the PSP allow a transfer after 5 days(allowing a little longer than federal to help protect those who unknowingly are prohibited, but would allow a transfer to a lawful person if there is a flag)

3. Implement no-background check requirement for those who possess a LTCF. (this would make much of the above pointless for 1 million PA licensees)

4. Force the PSP and PA court system to report any new prohibited persons, and also any restoration of rights, to the FBI.

5. Put a stop to the RoS thing that the PSP does.(this is legally a separate issue from the background check)

6. Fix the 302, 303, 304, etc restoration of rights thing. (another separate issue)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

3. Implement no-background check requirement for those who possess a LTCF. (this would make much of the above pointless for 1 million PA licensees)
    Great job 'unmuting' the issue. If Wal-Mart can tell within seconds if my credit card is valid there is no reason the same cant be done with out LTCF.

An E-mail from Everytown for Gun confiscation! They oppose the bill, Replacing PICS with NICS.
    If they are against it?

The e-mail starts:

"This is serious,

Pennsylvania gun extremists and their allies in the legislature are aggressively pushing a bill that would repeal key public safety laws and undermine law enforcement's ability to prevent dangerous people from accessing guns.

This reckless bill is being considered in committee tomorrow, and it's our first chance to stand with law enforcement and keep it from gaining momentum.

Our state police currently run the Pennsylvania background check system. When a criminal breaks the law by trying to buy a gun and fails their background check, Pennsylvania police know it -- and each year they go out and arrest hundreds of criminals who are illegally trying to buy guns.

But this bill would repeal the state police's role in our state background check system entirely, making it harder for Pennsylvania cops to enforce the law and easier for criminals to get their hands on guns.

Our lawmakers should be supporting law enforcement's critical work to keep us safe -- not bending to the gun lobby's out-of-touch agenda and preventing our police from protecting us.

Don't let the gun lobby and their allies in the legislature make it harder for the police to protect our communities. Fight back and send a message now >>

Thanks for standing with the men and women who have dedicated their lives to keeping our families and our communities safe.

Deb Marteslo
    Pennsylvania State Chapter Leader
    Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

(Chester County)

....Pennsylvania gun extremists...
    Okay, who is getting the "Pennsylvania Gun Extremist" t-shirts made up?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Lancaster County)

Cut me a break, voice recognition and all... lol MOOT!

(Lancaster County)

What's it going to take to fix all of the issues? Something we don't have in this state. The active participation of gun owners raising holy hell at every opportunity. At this point all we get is a bone thrown to us with very little meat. The politicians don't care because they aren't hearing from the ranks... The attendance at the rally was dismal for a state with millions of gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

Leon, I'm sure all the issues you bring up regarding problems with PICs are real. I also really appreciate the efforts by FOAC. I disagree with the bill that would kill PICs and go to NICS.

So, my primary question is who can we hold accountable for the shortcomings of PICs? Who in State gov are PASP answerable to in this regard? What can be done to FIX the system without further ceding our rights to the Feds and all of the problems inherent with NICs?

Finally, is there any pending or proposed legislation to attempt to resolve the PICs issues without killing off the entire system? I would be willing to discuss any suggestions and work with legislators, but am not sure what may already have been on the the table. Thanks!

Regards, Jim

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Great job 'unmuting' the issue. If Wal-Mart can tell within seconds if my credit card is valid there is no reason the same cant be done with out LTCF.
    THAT'S IT! Outsource / privatize PICS to WalMart! BRILLIANT!

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    What's it going to take to fix all of the issues? Something we don't have in this state. The active participation of gun owners raising holy hell at every opportunity. At this point all we get is a bone thrown to us with very little meat. The politicians don't care because they aren't hearing from the ranks... The attendance at the rally was dismal for a state with millions of gun owners.
    How many of the millions of gun owners even knew about this rally?
    I didn't see anything in the local paper about it.
    No signs at local gun shops.
    Nobody at any local shops mentioned it.
    The only way I knew about it was by reading some of the comments here where people whined about poor attendance and insulting those "too busy to attend"...

Rallies are for liberals.
    Many people are working jobs that don't allow them to take a day off, sorry, that's the way it is. Who is willing to risk losing their livelihood over a rally that the congresscritters in Harrisburg ignore anyway?
    You think those leftists from Philly cared about a bunch of guys waving flags in front of the capital?

I called into a local radio show a few years back when gun control was the topic and what we could do to combat it.
    My suggestion was getting gun shops to quit their backstabbing of each other and for PA shops to unite and form a group of their own.
    Then get their customers involved.
    But instead they would rather insult each other and tell customers how much of a crook the guy down the street is all to make $2 more on a sale...

Having a rally in Harrisburg where there is little notice given is fine if that's what you think is going to keep the state in line, but IMO it's going to take a constant groundgame and this needs to involve the people who interact daily with Pennsylvania gun owners, FFL's.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    This alert came in from NRA-ILA.
    Can anyone knowledgeable explain why NRA favors NICS over PICS.
    Specifically, what are the negatives associated with PICS.
    Thanks.
    Berncly-
    --------------------

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...ring-scheduled

NRA-ILA

Pennsylvania: House Judiciary Committee to Consider NICS Background Check System Legislation

Next week, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Judiciary Committee has scheduled a possible vote on House Bill 921, sponsored by Speaker of the House, Mike Turzai (HD28-R). This important legislation would eliminate the current Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) as well as the current handgun record of sale and replace it with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) which is administered by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Please contact the House Judiciary Committee members in support of HB 921!

Under the NICS system, licensed dealers contact the FBI, via a toll-free telephone number to run a check of computerized criminal history and mental health records at the point of sale for firearm purchases. Upon confirmation that the purchaser has no prohibiting criminal or mental health record, the purchaser may take possession of the firearm.

Since its inception in 1998, PICS has cost Pennsylvania tax payers nearly 120 million dollars to conduct background checks on gun purchasers in the Keystone State. By replacing the system with NICS, taxpayers in Pennsylvania would be relieved of a burdensome, duplicative process and would be able to take advantage of the more efficient federal system. Currently, thirty-five states solely utilize the NICS system for all firearm background checks.

Once again, please click the “Take Action” button above to contact House Judiciary Committee members in support of HB 921!

Do you really want the federal government to control whether you buy a gun or not?

I don't care what the NRA wants, I would much rather deal with Pennsylvania state police than any federal agency.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast