Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Libertarian nominee accepts rival’s gift of Washington replica pistol – then trashes

Libertarian nominee accepts rival’s gift of Washington replica pistol – then trashes it

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...l?intcmp=hpbt2

A sentimental gesture made by one presidential candidate to another backfired this weekend following a contentious and drama-filled Libertarian Party convention.

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, who scored the party’s nomination, was gifted a replica Sunday of George Washington’s flintlock pistol by runner-up Austin Petersen.

Tearing up at the close of the Florida convention, Petersen presented Johnson with the pistol as a symbol of party unity.

“You have my sword, and you have my gun,” he said, as the nominee accepted the gift.

But then, Johnson unceremoniously chucked it in the garbage can.

Cue sadness.

The slight apparently was witnessed by several delegates, whose accounts soon popped up on social media and blogs.

Both Johnson and Petersen later acknowledged this happened. Petersen voiced surprise at Johnson's actions.

“It’s a very prized possession of mine,” Petersen told FoxNews.com, when reached for comment on Wednesday.

Johnson, though, apparently had his reasons.

“Governor Johnson was frustrated. That’s why he tossed the gun,” Joe Hunter, communications director for the Johnson campaign, told FoxNews.com Wednesday. “He wishes he hadn’t. He’s sorry he did it and that it has become an issue.”

Hunter explained that Petersen, after giving Johnson the pistol, almost immediately started slamming Johnson’s vice presidential pick, former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld.

“That was very frustrating to Governor Johnson,” Hunter said. “And what he did with the gun was pure frustration.”

Weld was a subject of intense debate at the convention. Johnson, who won the Libertarian Party’s nomination for a second straight election cycle, had to hustle to get the party to unite behind Weld as his running mate.

Even then, Weld’s nomination was met with a mixed chorus of cheers and jeers from the rowdy crowd. Many in the party’s ideological base had argued Weld's positions on foreign policy and gun control were out of step with theirs.

It’s no secret that Petersen was among those knocking Weld.

Still, he said Wednesday, “You don’t expect to get slighted like that.”

“It was a symbolic gesture of solidarity and respect,” he told FoxNews.com, referring to the pistol gift. “Kind of like, here’s the head of the troll I slayed.”

Petersen said he purchased two replicas of the George Washington pistol years ago. He gave away one and kept the other, until giving (or trying to give) that one to Johnson at the convention.

In a video shot right before Petersen presented Johnson the pistol, he described the significance.

it
    Barnini Chakraborty

By Barnini Chakraborty Published June 01, 2016 FoxNews.com
    Facebook1274 Twitter435 livefyre Email Print

Now Playing

Gary Johnson speaks out after winning Libertarian nomination

A sentimental gesture made by one presidential candidate to another backfired this weekend following a contentious and drama-filled Libertarian Party convention.

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, who scored the party’s nomination, was gifted a replica Sunday of George Washington’s flintlock pistol by runner-up Austin Petersen.

Tearing up at the close of the Florida convention, Petersen presented Johnson with the pistol as a symbol of party unity.

“You have my sword, and you have my gun,” he said, as the nominee accepted the gift.

But then, Johnson unceremoniously chucked it in the garbage can.

Cue sadness.
    2016 Election Headquarters

The latest headlines on the 2016 elections from the biggest name in politics.
    See Latest Coverage →

The slight apparently was witnessed by several delegates, whose accounts soon popped up on social media and blogs.

Both Johnson and Petersen later acknowledged this happened. Petersen voiced surprise at Johnson's actions.

“It’s a very prized possession of mine,” Petersen told FoxNews.com, when reached for comment on Wednesday.

Johnson, though, apparently had his reasons.

“Governor Johnson was frustrated. That’s why he tossed the gun,” Joe Hunter, communications director for the Johnson campaign, told FoxNews.com Wednesday. “He wishes he hadn’t. He’s sorry he did it and that it has become an issue.”

Hunter explained that Petersen, after giving Johnson the pistol, almost immediately started slamming Johnson’s vice presidential pick, former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld.

“That was very frustrating to Governor Johnson,” Hunter said. “And what he did with the gun was pure frustration.”

Weld was a subject of intense debate at the convention. Johnson, who won the Libertarian Party’s nomination for a second straight election cycle, had to hustle to get the party to unite behind Weld as his running mate.

Even then, Weld’s nomination was met with a mixed chorus of cheers and jeers from the rowdy crowd. Many in the party’s ideological base had argued Weld's positions on foreign policy and gun control were out of step with theirs.

It’s no secret that Petersen was among those knocking Weld.

Still, he said Wednesday, “You don’t expect to get slighted like that.”

“It was a symbolic gesture of solidarity and respect,” he told FoxNews.com, referring to the pistol gift. “Kind of like, here’s the head of the troll I slayed.”

Petersen said he purchased two replicas of the George Washington pistol years ago. He gave away one and kept the other, until giving (or trying to give) that one to Johnson at the convention.

In a video shot right before Petersen presented Johnson the pistol, he described the significance.

“This means I’m going to go to battle for him,” Petersen said. “So, if Governor Johnson needs anything from me, if he needs any help, if he wants me to go out there and do battle for him, I’ll do it. … The revolution continues.”

The story has a somewhat-happy ending. Petersen is now back in possession of the prized pistol, after onlookers retrieved it and sent it back to him.

He seems willing to forgive and forget, or at least move on.

“It’s important when you are defeated that you are humble, gracious and kind,” he said. “So I have endorsed [Johnson]. I want him to do well and the party to grow.”

Petersen is a former associate producer for Judge Andrew Napolitano’s show, “Freedom Watch” on the Fox Business Network, which is owned by the same parent company as FoxNews.com.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Default Re: Libertarian nominee accepts rival’s gift of Washington replica pistol – then tras

Austin Petersen just backhanded Gary Johnson!

People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Libertarian nominee accepts rival’s gift of Washington replica pistol – then tras

Who are these people and why does anyone care? They have about as much chance of becoming president as my astrologer.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Somewhere here in my office, as I sit 2 hours past the time I should have gone home, is what I often describe as my disappearing box of clues. Without it there are days I don't have a clue. No clue what my senior leadership wants, no clue what direction the Army will go next, no clue what some colonel is babbling about...

After reading the above the clues were replaced by f**ks. Still can't find that damn box so I don't have a single f**k to spare.

My apologies to the OP, and you also repo, but after reading that I find myself asking why it is even news worthy. Yes, the tossing of the replica was tasteless and immature but the candidates are basically unknowns. We bitch about the front runners ignoring the truly important issues and then post stuff like this.

Enough for tonight. Back tomorrow and maybe I'll find that box full of f**ks and have one to give.

(Wayne County)

Where's our Libertarians?

(Chester County)

When you are clueless you do clueless things with clueless people.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Northampton County)

If it's Trump and Clinton, this guy could kill us. If by some miracle it's Sanders, not sure he would hurt, but Sanders would probably get us anyway.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Erie County)

At least is it wasn't a JWB replica.

(Fayette County)

Johnson was governor of New Mexico while I lived in Arizona. He wasn't too civilized then either! Maybe Trump would like to have him on that team!

So what is the point of this thread? Why did he throw away the pistol, if he did- and why do YOU think he did?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106
    Who are these people and why does anyone care? They have about as much chance of becoming president as my astrologer.
    Without pressing for a flame war, I care. I always care when liberty is on the table.

Where's our Libertarians?
    Here. I have heard the bullshit arguments about 'a vote for him is a vote for my opponent' yada yada. I will not, and have not- been cowed into this situation the country put itself in. When November rolls around I am doing the right thing, in my heart for this country and its people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast