Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Complete lower: Pistol-Rifle-SBR

I've done some research but am still not sure if this is correct, so would appreciate any input as to my understanding of this process. Plan is to build 8" barreled 300 SBR.

Buy a complete 'multi-cal' marked AR15 lower with stock already installed. This is neither a pistol or rifle upon purchase.

Legal to remove stock and replace with pistol buffer tube.

Build as pistol. Any caliber and barrel length could be used, but I'll use a 8" 300 barrel.

Submit ATF Form 1 application for SBR. Use 30 cal on application.

Upon approval, pistol can be converted to SBR by removing pistol buffer tube and installing stock.

Since it is now NFA registered as a 'firearm', it can be switched between rifle and pistol as often as desired without legal concern (though I wouldn't likely do that). Any caliber upper can be used, and any barrel length equal to or longer than the 8" on the Form 1.

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Complete lower: Pistol-Rifle-SBR

Once approved any caliber upper with any length barrel can be used, the lower is the registered SBR.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I've done some research but am still not sure if this is correct, so would appreciate any input as to my understanding of this process. Plan is to build 8" barreled 300 SBR.

Buy a complete 'multi-cal' marked AR15 lower with stock already installed. This is neither a pistol or rifle upon purchase.

Legal to remove stock and replace with pistol buffer tube.

Build as pistol. Any caliber and barrel length could be used, but I'll use a 8" 300 barrel.

Submit ATF Form 1 application for SBR. Use 30 cal on application.

Upon approval, pistol can be converted to SBR by removing pistol buffer tube and installing stock.

Since it is now NFA registered as a 'firearm', it can be switched between rifle and pistol as often as desired without legal concern (though I wouldn't likely do that). Any caliber upper can be used, and any barrel length equal to or longer than the 8" on the Form 1.

Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Complete lower: Pistol-Rifle-SBR

Everything you said is correct but you can actually use any length barrel as arjohnson mentioned. Don't forget you have to engrave the lower when you do your Form 1 (that info has to be on the Form 1 whether you're doing it by trust or personal.)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member