Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ruger MK III hunter supressed

Been toying with the idea of sending my MK III hunter out to get threaded for use as a suppressor host. It's the one with the 6.8" barrel.

Does anyone know if bulk pack rimfire ammo will go supersonic out of that?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Ruger MK III hunter supressed

I have a Ruger 22/45 and have not had any recollection of any 22 ammo going Super Sonic from that gun when shooting suppressed. I did however have issues with Federal Match Ammo not cycling in this firearm. Seems like a 6.8" barrel is longer that the 22/45 I have and that would possibly add a little velocity for you. Would you consider just buying an already threaded 22/45? What would the cost of having your MKIII threaded compared to juts buying a new already threaded Ruger??

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    I have a Ruger 22/45 and have not had any recollection of any 22 ammo going Super Sonic from that gun when shooting suppressed. I did however have issues with Federal Match Ammo not cycling in this firearm. Seems like a 6.8" barrel is longer that the 22/45 I have and that would possibly add a little velocity for you. Would you consider just buying an already threaded 22/45? What would the cost of having your MKIII threaded compared to juts buying a new already threaded Ruger??
    Cost to thread is roughy $150.00.

As for the 22/45, I am really just not a fan of those for whatever reason, but I do like the MKIII offerings.

(Beaver County)

Depends on the ammo really. Standard CCI is 1040fps which is not super sonic to begin with. Bulk pack Blazer 22lr is 1200 or 1250 FPS and most go supersonic (1150fps) out of a handgun. At least they do in my Buckmark and integrally suppressed Ruger. I stay away from cheap bulkpack ammo for my suppressors because I hate to clean them.

Speed of sound on a 90 degree day at my elevation is roughly 1150fps.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; May 28th, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Butler County)

I'd buy one all ready threaded. It's an excuse to buy another gun. Leave the other one original. 2 guns are better than one gun.
    I have a 22/45 Lite with threaded barrel. Some quiet and subsonic ammo won't cycle.