Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sunset Hill - take II

Well I hate to bitch the same bitch again BUT I gave Sunset Hill another chance last week after my last nightmare with their overzealous employee a few months back.

The wife and I went because she wanted more time with her 9mm and I needed to work on the sights on my SKS. I also wanted some range time with my Glock 27.

After the wife spent some time shooting I loaded the Glock and when I went to aim I noticed the front sight was messed up. I dropped the mag, emptied the chamber and locked the slide back. I also physically checked the chamber twice and then walked back to where there was some sunshine so I could try and figure out what was wrong with the front site. I also made sure (knowing how crazy their people can be) I purposely kept the weapon pointed at the ground and made sure my hand was NO WHERE near the trigger.

Well sure enough here comes this kid yelling "Keep that pointed down range" I looked at him and said "The mag is dropped and the slide is locked back", he started yelling again "Point that downrange" ... one more time I said (and showed him) "the mag is dropped and the slide is locked back" .. he just kept rambling on and instead of ripping him a new ass (like I should have) I walked back into the booth.

Now just as with the last time this type crap happened by the time we were ready to leave this kid was all smiles and laughs asking what year my SKS was ... honest to god I wanted to tell him to stick it up his ass.

Sorry folks but I have to say this once and for all ... these people hire some freaking assholes.. Even when this kid was screaming at me one of the other instructors (that knew me) walked by smiling and almost laughing at this gung ho kid ......... I felt like telling him I had been handling weapons at least twice as long as he had been alive and knew damn well what safe firearm handling was all about.....sorry to say it they haven't a clue and I seriously doubt I will ever return.

Someone in the Monroe county area needs to start a REAL range that doesn't play the tourist "shoot any gun crap" and caters to members with help that knows what the hell they are doing!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Sunset Hill - take II

Down at the ground is a safe direction.

(Lackawanna County)

sorry to hear about this. i've never been there myself, but i've heard it was a decent range. to be honest, though, i probably would have told you the same thing. think about how many morons they have to deal with daily, and you may see their side of it. plus, one of their own just got killed not too long ago; they're probably gonna be extra-crazy-monkey-ridiculously careful now.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    sorry to hear about this. i've never been there myself, but i've heard it was a decent range. to be honest, though, i probably would have told you the same thing. think about how many morons they have to deal with daily, and you may see their side of it. plus, one of their own just got killed not too long ago; they're probably gonna be extra-crazy-monkey-ridiculously careful now.
    Sorry but their recent losses doesn't cover the attitude they have had over the years. The one was an accident with a rifle that wasn't unloaded at the end of the night, the second was a suicide ... as I said this is the second time I have seen this type behavior and the first time was before either of these incidents and as p-11 stated "down at the ground is a safe direction ESPECIALLY when they can see the mag is out and the slide is locked open.

(Luzerne County)

So when you walk in the place do you have to point your gun cases down range as you make your way to the both?
    When your done do you unload, case, and then leave while pointing the case downrange?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Sorry but their recent losses doesn't cover the attitude they have had over the years. The one was an accident with a rifle that wasn't unloaded at the end of the night, the second was a suicide ... as I said this is the second time I have seen this type behavior and the first time was before either of these incidents and as p-11 stated "down at the ground is a safe direction ESPECIALLY when they can see the mag is out and the slide is locked open.
    true enough. i'd be irritated too, i guess. it's deal with that, or obnoxious range "officers" at public ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    So when you walk in the place do you have to point your gun cases down range as you make your way to the both?
    When your done do you unload, case, and then leave while pointing the case downrange?

Good point! The same kid watched me load my SKS into its case barrel up and then lean it against the wall.

most of the people are nice over there I think the kid your talking about is new and the last time i was there he was sweeping the floor so maybe he thought he was a big shot that day.
    Its a good place to go in bad weather and for testing builds I have tourn apart some rifles on the bench and never got a complaint .

If your slide was locked and mag dropped and he couldnt tell he has no clue

(Chester County)

I also physically checked the chamber twice and then walked back to where there was some sunshine so I could try and figure out what was wrong with the front site.
    Were you behind the firing line? At the range I really don't like people I don't know handling guns behind my back, regardless of whether they checked them or not. Slide open/mag out and pointed down I might feel more comfortable, but still.

It does sound like he was a bit obnoxious about it though, no reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by junkmanted View Post
    If your slide was locked and mag dropped and he couldnt tell he has no clue
    I showed him the weapon with the slide locked back and the mag out ... might have been new but for crying out loud.

One other time I was there I got a round jammed in the mag of my M44. I dropped the bolt out and one of their people loaned me some tools to get it out ... took about 10 minutes. There was no bitching or moaning that time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast