Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Carrying knife in Pa.

I have a LTCF. Looking to buy a nice folding or fixed blade knife to carry as well. I was wondering if their is a law in Pa. about the length of the blade on a folding knife and also would I be able to carry a fixed blade knife?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Carrying knife in Pa.

There is no state law regulating blade length for either folding for fixed blades. Also, the state does not preempt localities from regulating, so there may be wildly varying regulations across the state, with no good way for you to reliably research them for a given area.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Limits on Carry
    It is illegal to open or conceal carry a dagger
    It is illegal to open or conceal carry any automatic knife
    It is illegal to open or conceal carry a sword cane
    It is legal to open or conceal carry any hunting knife
    It is legal to open or conceal carry any knife that does not open automatically and has a lawful purpose

The definition of dagger is vague. Some people, myself included, think that means a knife with two edges. Others disagree. I stick with one edge blades for carry, just to be on the safe side.

Also the "lawful purpose" is also vague. It can be up to the officers interpretation, then it's on you to prove your innocence.

(Wayne County)

Went to the Penn State Ag extension last week with my pocket knife, opening assist type...the OFFICER at the METAL DETECTOR dang near lost it when I handed it over. "I'll just hold onto this"...at and AG Extension Office they need armed security???????????

(Dauphin County)

It is illegal to carry any knife of any kind on public property in Philadelphia except when actually using it for work.

If the ordinance is read literally, if you buy a chef's knife at Williams Sonoma on Broad Street it's illegal to take it home unless you're employed as a chef and chopping food the whole way.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Northampton County)

National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Chester County)

Outside of the city you're safe to carry 90% of the pocket knives on the market. As stated above, double edge blades and ones that fire open with a button are the only restrictions. Note that assisted open blades are not considered automatic and don't let anyone confuse you on that. Fixed blades are also fine, no length limits etc. You are free to choose the blade that suits you (auto daggers aside).

On a side note, with the impeccable tolerances on most quality knives today, there is absolutely no need for an assist. Offerings from companies like ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade and even Kizer are designed around a philosophy of precision that completely negates the need for a spring assist of any kind. You just push/flick/whatever and the blade glides across a glassy surface to a firm lockup. Better in every way.

If you'd like some guidance just let me know what price range and features you have in mind, I'm glad to help.

(Northampton County)

Last night I did a quick search of Allentown & Bethlehem City Ordinances and did not find knives mentioned. I did find out that both cities want you to register your bicycle.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

Funny how the SCOTUS said the Mass. court wrongfully interpreted the 2nd amendment and upheld a persons right of possession of stun guns in Masss. Their version followed the wrong line of reasoning that "Stun guns were not invented in the time the bill of rights was written" and " The founding fathers did not envision a weapon like the stun gun or tasers".
    The SCOTUS said EURRRt WRONG!!
    By the ruling by the SCOTUS on the Mass. Vs Caetano:
    "The justices noted that the Heller decision rejected the proposition "that only those weapons useful in warfare are protected".
    So theres that. " Rejected: ONLY Weapons useful in warfare are protected"
    While here in PA:
    In 1980, in Commonwealth v. Artis, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court reversed Mr Artis’ conviction for possession of a prohibited weapon was reversed because the trial court improperly applied the circumstances of the possession test when determining whether the knife served a common lawful purpose. The knife was a folding knife, which Mr. Artis testified he purchased at a sporting goods store, to use for hunting and fishing. Therefore, it did not matter under what circumstances he possessed it, as it had a common lawful purpose.

More recently, in 1996, in the case of Commonwealth v. Karlson, the Court concluded that Mr. Karlson did not violate the prohibited offensive weapon statute when he sold four “Cobra” knives to an undercover police officer. The Court held that in order to convict Mr. Karlson, the state was required to offer evidence that the knives served no common lawful purpose. It said that unless they were specifically outlawed, knives were not objects of a criminal nature that were prohibited under the prohibited weapons statute.

Yet here we are in PA with stupid Local interpretations of "knife/ offensive weapons" law that defines anything other than a firearm as an "Offensive weapon"?
    And what about the phrase "common lawful purpose"? Self preservation from someone attacking me seems a pretty "lawful purpose"
    Last edited by bigandy1966; May 24th, 2016 at 07:32 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Beaver County)

I feel much safer now knowing that criminals are not allowed to carry prohibited offensive weapons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast