Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default VFMAC graduation: Off property, public parking, with in walking distance ?

My nephew is graduating from Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, PA. The ceremony is in just under two weeks away.
    Being that I live about 60 miles away. And the family might go out to diner after the ceremony. I would prefer not leaving my weapon at home the entire time.

So I took a ride down near the academy yesterday in hopes of finding some public parking that is off school property and within walking distance.
    Hence allowing me to leave my weapon locked in my truck and in it's safe while I attend the ceremony.

While riding around there. The entire area appears to be only upscale private homes or school property. And in very congested wooded settings with two lane roads that do not have any shoulders to walk on.
    The only public parking I could find was about 1 mile away at the Wayne SEPTA train station or strips malls over on Lancaster Ave. Neither of which could be considered with in walking distance due to the landscape or if it decides to rain that day.

For anyone that knows that area. Did I miss any closer public parking than Wayne train station or the strip malls on Lancaster Ave ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Delaware County)

Default Re: VFMAC graduation: Off property, public parking, with in walking distance ?

There's a little park off Eagle Rd called Fenimore Woods about a ten minute walk up back to the main campus.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: VFMAC graduation: Off property, public parking, with in walking distance ?

I live about 10 miles from VFMA. I think you have accurately sized up the situation. However, there is a golf course which is part of the St. David's Golf Course about 500 meters north of VFMA. As far as i know it is a choice of valet parking or park it yourself. You can probably park yourself there without any problem or being detected. I can't guarantee it, but I believe I am correct.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks guys !

I did not notice that park and was not certain about the golf club.
    I'll try to check them out this weekend in preparation for the following weekend.

Thanks !
    --ET

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Thanks guys !

I did not notice that park and was not certain about the golf club.
    I'll try to check them out this weekend in preparation for the following weekend.

Thanks !
    BTW, congrats to your nephew. What are his plans post VFMA?
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

For the most part, everything outside the iron fence is private property. Be careful parking on the residential streets, the locals have lobbied hard to have "No Parking" signs posted everywhere and they do not hesitate to tow vehicles.

The above posts are all valid parking options. I am assuming you will be entering via Radnor Road. If so, Savior Mission House Church has a substantial parking lot and is within walking distance. The limiting factor will be traffic control. Local police, campus security, and property management may have these locations blocked off. They will do their best to make you park at one of several lots on VFMAC property.

I would not recommend parking at the SEPTA lot or any of the local strip malls you mentioned. These are the most likely places your vehicle will be broken into.

Congrats to your nephew. He has graduated from a very good school.

(Montgomery County)

I would expect the golf course to be very busy on a holiday weekend.
    I assume you are not staying in a local hotel, which could give you a ride there.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    BTW, congrats to your nephew. What are his plans post VFMA?
    Thanks !

I have no idea what his plans are.
    Did not even know he was going to VFMA until this past Summer. (or was it the previous Summer ?)
    I think he was going to the local high school in NJ until someone at the high school (football coach ?) recommended he attend VFMA.

I'm hoping VFMA removed some of the left leaning, liberal ideas my sister-in-law was raising him on.
    Example; she cheered to the entire family via email when Obama was first elected.
    --ET

(Lehigh County)

OP here,

Just learned my sister-in-law is making reservations for everyone after the ceremony at the Glenmorgan Bar + Grill, in the Radnor Hotel, down the road in St. Davids.
    Anyone know if that place is anti carry; specifically anti opencarry ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Montgomery County)

I've not been in the Radnor Hotel that I can recall but I am familiar with the area and the local storm troopers. I often eat at other local restaurants and shop in the strip mall across the street. I've spent a lot of weekends at the high school soccer fields next to it.
    I personally would not OC in that area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast