Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Current Production Smiths...yay or nay?

I sold my Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag a few years back as it just wasn't getting shot...As with most firearm sales, I sort of regret that move as it left me without a wheelgun.

As a result I've been eyeing up revolvers lately and would like to get another one. There are a few S&W wheel guns Im looking at...I'd probably be looking at one in 44 magnum again, though 357 is something I'd consider.

Realistically, this would be a range toy...but could possibly be used as a hiking/camping firearm.

Is there any reason to not consider the new production S&W revolvers? The lock is something I could probably live with, but am not really keen on having.

I also have not ruled out Rugers, but am leaning towards S&W for a few reasons..

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Current Production Smiths...yay or nay?

I have a significant number of S&W revolvers but all are S/H and none are younger than the middle 1980s. I would recommend looking for revolvers in the pre 1985 time frame. No MIM parts, all metal and last for many 10s of years. Dave_N

(Bucks County)

the new revolvers....that damned internal lock? pass.

the old ones? oh, god yes!
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Berks County)

I have new and old Smith and Wessons. The new ones a good. The I/L is dumb. Its just not a deal breaker for me. I never had one go on by itself. If I did I'd probably feel differently.

(Susquehanna County)

There isn't a damn thing wrong with the new S&W revolvers. Don't engage the lock and you'll never know it is there.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Dauphin County)

I like Older Smiths, Older Rugers and Older Dan Wessons. If I were to buy a 44 Mag Smith I would go with an older Model 29-2 with 8 3/8" barrel or a 29-3 with a 10" barrel. I have a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel and it is sweet, very accurate and can handle the heaviest loads. I also have a Dan Wesson in 44 Mag with 10", 8", 6" inter changeable barrels and that is also a sweet sweet shooter. The Lock on the new Smiths is dumb and ugly and I won't own one. I had a 629 with a lock and it was a great gun sold it because I just don't like the lock. Would you consider a 41 mag? S&W model 58? Do you reload?

(Lebanon County)

older s&w 44 mags can't handle a steady diet of hot loads.
    smith can no longer(for some time already actually) work on the older guns.....if you shoot one loose.
    if the interwebs had been around when smith discontinued the pinned and recessing in the early 80's, you would have seen the same amount of bitching and complaining then as now.
    i have several of the new era smiths, i like them and the lock is very easily removed, the hole can be plugged.
    of the new eras that i have, are a couple 44mags and a 500. while i don't abuse them, i certainly put them to the grind stone with hot loads. the round count is getting up there, and they look, feel and shoot as if they were new.
    while nothing is built like it was used to and that goes for cars, trucks, buildings, tools including firearms all the new stuff almost always out performs the old stuff, albeit the new stuff always seems to be lacking the soul the old stuff had.
    i like having the old smiths, but i like shooting the new ones.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    I like Older Smiths, Older Rugers and Older Dan Wessons. If I were to buy a 44 Mag Smith I would go with an older Model 29-2 with 8 3/8" barrel or a 29-3 with a 10" barrel. I have a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel and it is sweet, very accurate and can handle the heaviest loads. I also have a Dan Wesson in 44 Mag with 10", 8", 6" inter changeable barrels and that is also a sweet sweet shooter. The Lock on the new Smiths is dumb and ugly and I won't own one. I had a 629 with a lock and it was a great gun sold it because I just don't like the lock. Would you consider a 41 mag? S&W model 58? Do you reload?
    Yup, I reload..Not sure why I would choose 41 mag over 44 mag...

(Berks County)

I will add this: the I/L frame is higher and hides more of the hammer. No locks are elegant in a side by side. Pins on hammers look better cocked.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Yup, I reload..Not sure why I would choose 41 mag over 44 mag...
    Different recoil impulse, flatter shooting so 50+ yard holdovers are less, some say can be made more accurate with just the right load. I only had one in my hands once for an afternoon but man it was a pleasure to shoot, much more so than any .357 I've ever shot (I honestly dislike .357--WAY too sharp pitched) and less blasty than the various .44's.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast