Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Spare thread protector question

I like to have spare thread protectors for all of my guns in case the original gets lost.......threaded barrels aren't cheap to replace. Anyway, I contacted Ruger as they are not listed on the website for purchase and they could not have been nicer about sending one out. However, in the email the rep said they were export restricted and that I would need to state I am a US citizen before they could send one out.

Are thread protectors really export restricted????? That seems insane.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Spare thread protector question

Once you get into manufacturing, ITAR is there.
    Seems it was just a bit of an over cautious thing to me, but they are covering their ass.
    Same as some companies wanting a copy of your Form4 or FFL/SOT when you want to buy a spare fire control group for your M16.
    They are just covering their ass. They can suck a fat one on the Form4, but just covering their ass.

(Bucks County)

I VERY seriously doubt that the actual thread protector could be restricted. If I had to guess, its more of a case that Ruger has export licenses that are routinely audited so they check the box for the very few items they actually ship to end user private customers.

(Montgomery County)

ITAR restricts export of (among other things) silencers and thier components.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...13.58&rgn=div5

(Bucks County)

*(e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

Still don't think the thread protector would apply but better safe than sorry I suppose.

(Beaver County)

ITAR has screwed a few people over. The most recent in memory is a guy that was making moon clips for old revolvers that they used in the war. Fined him something like $25k and closed his shop.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    *(e) Silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors for the articles in (a) through (d) of this category and their specifically designed, modified or adapted components and parts.

Still don't think the thread protector would apply but better safe than sorry I suppose.
    I guess it is a component part. Or else they are just worried that .gov will say it is and bust them.

(Armstrong County)

There is no way a thread protector is a component of a suppressor. Its a thread protector for a barrel.
    Its no different than a muzzle brake or a flash hider that are basically thread protectors in a sense.

They are just "CYA" on something that we see trivial, but .gov for some reason sees as a threat to national security. Its not like its thermal optics or an IR designator

Ron, i would like more info on the "moon clip guy" if you have any.
    Thats a hard one to swallow. Unless he was selling said parts to places over seas without an exportation license.