Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Levittown (gun shop in Croydon), Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Do you need to contact FFL's before you make a purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    A lot of the times FFLs will have "preferred status" with major online retailers where you don't have to do anything but order because their license is on file. Buds and CDNN for example will have multiple places in your area of this classification.
    This is true and the goods ones (like AIM Surplus) will also email the dealer and let them know as well. But still check with a dealer you have never used as you may get sticker shot when you see the price for a simple transfer.

(Lackawanna County)

The first dealer I contacted about an internet purchase said STOP.
    1) Wanted to know what I had ordered.
    2) If it was something he had or could get, he 'reserved' the right to add a fee to his transfer price.
    3) Told him I was purchasing a Colt CCG. He said that was OK, and told me what he would charge me.
    4) Thanked him for his time and had it shipped to another local dealer.

I reserved the right to take my business elsewhere.

(Berks County)

Well you may be a better man than me. I don't think He would have had the chance to get to #3 had I made that call.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK View Post
    The first dealer I contacted about an internet purchase said STOP.
    1) Wanted to know what I had ordered.
    2) If it was something he had or could get, he 'reserved' the right to add a fee to his transfer price.
    3) Told him I was purchasing a Colt CCG. He said that was OK, and told me what he would charge me.
    4) Thanked him for his time and had it shipped to another local dealer.

I reserved the right to take my business elsewhere.

(Berks County)

Thanks you all for the great advice and information. It is so great to have this website to get reliable information. I will plan on giving the FFL a Courtesy Call to give them a heads up on my purchase. I appreciate everyone's time you all are Awesome! Stay Safe out there!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Auger Precision View Post
    ... But even then most of the responsibility lies on the shipper. If they don't ship to the correct address, fail to put sig required etc. then there isn't a whole lot we as receiving FFLs can do about it. ...
    I received 2 lowers from 2 different sellers and a Ruger Super Redhawk Toklat (.454 Casull) last week with no signatures required (all through USPS). I have to pick up my mail at the PO because we don't get door to door delivery and when the counter person brought me the packages (she's also a customer of mine) I immediately went to the station where I sign my name and she scanned them and said "Nope, no signature required". We talked about that a bit and even though they were sent Priority Mail, they weren't insured other than the $50 that is included with a PM package (I can tell by the amount of postage on the box).

Told my Ruger customer (a regular of mine) that if I was dishonest, I could have had myself a really nice handgun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Told my Ruger customer (a regular of mine) that if I was dishonest, I could have had myself a really nice handgun.
    Since it was not a purchase there would be no record of the transfer from X owner to you and I would imagine show up on some list as a Missing Firearm, How would you explain it being in your possession?

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Auger Precision View Post
    Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I was doing the Oaks show. But pretty much what X-ring stated. But still I would recommend letting the dealer know as an extra layer of security. I too have had guns left without signature etc. I have been home just happen to notice a delivery person or two leave a package and I walk outside and there is a box on the ground with a gun in it.......Luckily I have yet to have one go back for lack of being able to receive/pick it up. But shippers "should" always put sig required on all packages containing firearms. But even then most of the responsibility lies on the shipper. If they don't ship to the correct address, fail to put sig required etc. then there isn't a whole lot we as receiving FFLs can do about it. One time I had a lower receiver shipped to me and the usps person just scribbled a name and threw it in the mailbox and left because she didn't feel like knocking or waiting (and I was home).
    Thanks for the follow up Auger. You and x-ring are very helpful!
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Washington County)

Most of our customers contact us beforehand to inform us what is being sent to us, but it's not required. More then once we have had firearms arrive with no documentation and we simply wait for the buyer to contact us, which is sometimes weeks. Like others have said, it's not uncommon for us to receive firearms without insurance or signature required, and more then once we received MG's without a signature required.

So, if you have an FFL ship a firearm for you, ensure they use signature required when shipping.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123