Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Berks County)

Default Do you need to contact FFL's before you make a purchase?

So I am a little embarrassed about this question. I am looking to do my first on line purchase. I know I am required to use an FFL to pick it up and have the transfer completed. I understand that the rates vary between $25-$50 for this service. So, after doing an online search and finding an FFL pretty close to my residence I was wondering if I need to call the FFL before I make my purchase or can I just list the FFL I plan on using and show up when it is delivered. What is the standard procedure/etiquette when using an FFL's services. Thanks in advance for any information shared.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Do you need to contact FFL's before you make a purchase?

I always gave them a courtesy heads-up via phone or email.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    I always gave them a courtesy heads-up via phone or email.
    That seems like the best way to go about it.The places that I have dealt with require certain information from the FFL before they will ship.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis42 View Post
    So I am a little embarrassed about this question. I am looking to do my first on line purchase. I know I am required to use an FFL to pick it up and have the transfer completed. I understand that the rates vary between $25-$50 for this service. So, after doing an online search and finding an FFL pretty close to my residence I was wondering if I need to call the FFL before I make my purchase or can I just list the FFL I plan on using and show up when it is delivered. What is the standard procedure/etiquette when using an FFL's services. Thanks in advance for any information shared.
    The seller will usually want a copy of the FFL's actual license. My local FFL emailed me a JPEG scan which I forwarded on to the seller. As long as the license was still good I could just make a purchase when it was convenient (i.e. 1:00am) and give him a heads-up call the next day. I did that 3 times.

In short, contact the FFL as soon as convenient and find out how he/she is willing to transmit his/her license.

YMMV

(Allegheny County)

I would say call/e-mail and ask. Now if the FFL has specifically listed on their website that they do transfers from internet purchases and have instructions on how they conduct business maybe you don't have to make a call but it never hurts.

I use an FFL that is in business specifically for internet transfers. The first time I used him, even though he had instructions on the website I sent a courtesy email. Now I just order the firearm then go to his website when I am done and complete his online webform.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

When I've used an FFL for the first time for such a transaction, I've always given them the courtesy of a phone call ahead of time to let them know I'd like to do business through and with them. Since I've used the same guy for several transactions I just give him a head's up "incoming!" email and it's all good.

(Berks County)

I agree with with what everyone else has said especially if it is a well known online seller chances are the FFL has done business with them before and their info is already on file. Not sure who you are going through but I used Berks Firearms in Mt Penn. Cost $20 and the guy was very easy to work with on Pick up.

http://www.berksfirearms.com/berks-firearms-home.html

(Montgomery County)

While you are under no legal obligation to contact the receiving FFL it is in your best interest as a consumer to do so.
    Rates for transfer vary from FFL to FFL. Many charge more for an Internet purchase transfer than for a face to face sale. Some charge even more for particular vendors (Buds Guns comes to mind).
    Calling around eliminates sticker shock.

I have one FFL I usually use and I shoot him an e-mail before hitting order.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Montgomery County)

A lot of the times FFLs will have "preferred status" with major online retailers where you don't have to do anything but order because their license is on file. Buds and CDNN for example will have multiple places in your area of this classification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast