Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Need to replace EOTECH

I have a RRA M4gery with the front sight. It did have an EOTECH 553 mounted on it. But seeing the recall on them I sent mine back for a refund.

So now its time to replace it. But I am getting lost in selecting a new sight.

I have about $500 to play with, and these are the usage paramaters:

1. Home defense, limited target use to 300 meters.

2. eyesight is borderline suckage. no glasses no see and I am currently wearing bifocals.

3. Would like some kind of light and or magnification.

So please fire away with your suggestions

Thanks
    gotta love her ;)

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Need to replace EOTECH

If you liked the EoTech reticle and you don't want to go magnified, I would suggest looking at Holosun.
    I just begrudgingly sent my Eotech back a few weeks ago, I say begrudgingly because I liked it and I liked the reticle, I knew it was going to be hard to find a red dot with a circle. I ended up with a Holosun circle dot and I'm really liking it. Has some cool featured like motion sensor auto on and off and choice of dot or circle dot, lifetime warranty.
    Just an option to look at. It is made in china so if that disqualifies it for you I understand, that was something that I struggled with.
    Last edited by ray h; May 19th, 2016 at 03:07 PM.

(Clarion County)

I went to a 1x4 scope. To early to tell how it'll work out. Like it so far.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Armstrong County)

Aimpoint h-1, either 2 moa or 4 moa... which ever you prefer. I prefer the 2 moa myself.

I sent mine back last week. I would go anything Aimpoint.

For HD, I'd get a red dot as they are much faster to pick up targets. Those 1-4x optics typically are not a true 1x.

I personally would not get a Holosun for a serious optic. I would get something with a proven track record, which normally means a combat proven optic. If you want to trust your life to a Chinese made product, knock yourself out.

If your eyes are not the best, the Trijicon MRO is a great option since it has a larger FOV compared to the Aimpoint H1, T1/2 series. I have a T1 and I love that thing due to battery life and how little rail space it takes up. I've fired out to 400 + yards without magnification using a 100 IPSC steel target.

Based on what you wrote, OP...the Trijicon MRO seems to be your best option.

If you must have a magnified optic...the Vortex PST 1-4x.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I personally would not get a Holosun for a serious optic. I would get something with a proven track record, which normally means a combat proven optic.
    You mean something like an EoTech?
    I would research those who actually own Holosuns.
    Holosun is a U.S. company that manufacturers in China. Aimpoint is a Swedish company that manufacturers in Sweden.
    Pick your poison, neither is made in the US.
    Last edited by ray h; May 20th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.

Within you budget look at an Aimpoint PRO or get a 1-4 or 1-6 scope. The SWFA SS 1-4x24 tactical is a good value ($400) and has an illuminated reticle.

(Centre County)

Aimpoint PRO all day..... ~$400 and rock solid reliability, IMO.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. OP has a budget of $500, so why would he want to spend $200-280 on the Holosun when there are much better options for his budget? There is nothing wrong with trying to save a buck or two, but OP already stated his budget along with parameters on next optic selection. In the world of optics...higher price typically means better glass and/or specs. You truly do get what you pay for with optics.

I don't care where the company is based, I care about the quality control measure set in place. I'm not saying all Chinese products are junk, BUT I would say most of those Chinese companies are cloning/copying other products. OP stated that this optic would be for home defense. I know if I'm using any product to defend my life and the lives of my family, I'm going to get something that is as close to bulletproof as I can afford. OP isn't asking about a range optic to play around with...OP is looking for a serious optic.

It's tough to dismiss Aimpoint as they have a great track record and they have the best battery life. My friend has the PRO and he likes it for price point. I find the PRO to be heavy and bulky, but tough to beat at sub $400. I've owned a few Aimpoint T1's and they are my go to red dot. I just cannot afford to have one on every fiream.

My next red dot will be the Trijicon RMO due to the larger FOV. It seems that Trijicon has worked out the first batch bugs. I've seen the MRO being offered at $375 without a mount.

The Vortex PST 1-4x and SWFA 1-4x are both good 1-4x optics. I like the reticle on the PST due to the fact that in CQB the center dot is much larger to use for quick shots compared to the SWFA.

I personally like a lighter firearm for HD, so for me it would be a red dot instead of magnified optics. I feel the benefit of a red dot is also how quickly I can get on target vs magnified optic.

I've tried many different firearms and many different optics to see what works and what doesn't work. There are many options, but for me, I've only found a small number of products that suits my needs/wants.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    You mean something like an EoTech?
    I would research those who actually own Holosuns.
    Holosun is a U.S. company that manufacturers in China. Aimpoint is a Swedish company that manufacturers in Sweden.
    Pick your poison, neither is made in the US.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast