Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ruger LCR anyone have one?

I have been looking to get a small sun nose wheel gun for a back up and since I have a few extra bucks laying around I began my looking today. My initial thoughts were a S&W 442 which I already have a good amount of experience with but since I fell hard for my GP100 I have started considering a Ruger either the SP101 or the LCR chambered in 9mm.

I handed several LCR's today and while it was super comfortable in the hand, extremely light, and had one of the best of not the best factory DA trigger on any snub nosed SD revolver I have ever handed under $700.00 the cylinder lock up was very unimpressive. I compared the LRC in .38+p, 9mm, and one LCRX in 38 spcl and they all seemed to have the same poor lock up. When comparing to the 2.5" SP101 it was night and day. The lock up on the SP101 was as it should be ad have seen on the typical heavy framed Ruger revolvers. The 442 was of course the tightest with what felt like less then .02 of movement when the cylinder was locked.

Before I move on from the 9mm LCR I wanted to see if there was any members here with some trigger and carry time on the platform that might make me revisist the pistol.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger LCR anyone have one?

You got me worried there for a minute, so I pulled it out of my pocket holster, unloaded it, and checked. Lockup on my 38 special is fine. Not as tight as the S&W 686, but not sloppy.

It is a great little shooter, thanks to that trigger. In a Desantis Nemesis or similar holster, it hardly feels like more than a large wallet. That makes it easy to carry around the house or working in the yard or wherever.

I got it with the CT Lasergrip, which I also recommend highly.

(Philadelphia County)

I've had the LCR 9mm for about 9 months. I wasn't crazy about it at first and considered selling or trading it, but after changing the grips I'm very happy with it. It's very light and accurate.

With the original grips my hand hurt a lot after each shot. I picked up the Hogue Ruger LCR- No Finger Groove Rubber Tamer Cushion Grip #78030 from Amazon on the recommendation of a guy on another forum. The new grip made a huge difference and no more stinging hand after shooting the LCR, but it is a tad bit longer so carrying concealed may be a little more challenging.

I'm not really too familiar with revolvers so I can't really provide a helpful opinion on stuff like cylinder lock up.

(Cumberland County)

I have the LCR and it's a decent gun. The lock up is a little sloppy, but no where near as bad as the S&W bodyguard ! I just can't get use to these lightweights for edc. Don't flame me, but I have a Taurus Poly too and I actually prefer it over the above two. I know, I know, blasphemy! I am not a Taurus fan by any measure, I owned one semi and never again ( ok, never striker fired, I would consider the 1911 and 92 versions ) but I have several Taurus revolvers and have been happy with them all. I picked up the Taurus poly because it was so cheap, and was pleasantly surprised. And yes, I would rely on it for edc if I carried a revolver daily. Good luck on whatever you decide - if you were closer I could give you a nice assortment to try

(Chester County)

This was posted 2 days ago...

Regardless, I'd be okay with a LCR/LCRX in .38 or .357. I'd also be okay with buying a S&W J-Frame. I currently own a new production Taurus 85. After changing out the trigger spring with a lighter one from Wolf, I couldn't be happier for $250.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Lebanon County)

i picked up a 38spl shortly after they came out and liked it. it's a decent little shooter, but when the 9mms came on the market i ''needed'' to have one, and so i did.
    the 38 was ''retired'' to truck status and the 9mm took over carry detail.
    the 38 is a pleasant shooter, though i never stoked it with p+ loads.
    the 9mm is a snappy pistol, but not terrible to control.
    both are plenty enough accurate, with decent sights.
    overall i'm happy with both.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Butler County)

I had one in 357 for about a year. I simply could never get good with it. That said, I'm not much of a wheelgun guy. I have a few Dan Wessons that i love, but aside from those, i haven't found many that I like.

With the plethora of "pocket" 9mm semi's available, a small wheelgun doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As a rule, small wheelguns have similar or worse ballistics to semis, similar or worse triggers, are heavier, are wider and have lower capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    I had one in 357 for about a year. I simply could never get good with it. That said, I'm not much of a wheelgun guy. I have a few Dan Wessons that i love, but aside from those, i haven't found many that I like.

With the plethora of "pocket" 9mm semi's available, a small wheelgun doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As a rule, small wheelguns have similar or worse ballistics to semis, similar or worse triggers, are heavier, are wider and have lower capacity.
    I have several smaller 9's like the G43 & the Shield as well as a .380 TCP however I would use the Ruger as a back up to one of those and they (revolvers) also give an advantage if you were in the very likely position of having to make a contact shot. Semi auto can come out of battery with ease or won't cycle after the 1st shot something that revolvers are impervious to.

(Lycoming County)

I concur with most here. I have the .357 version and it works well. Definitely a little slopier than most smiths or my gp100, but it's still a pretty good shooter for a snubby. The light weight makes it very nice to carry also. It's a little bit stingy with .357 loads, but still manageable. With 38's it's fine, so I imagine the 9mm version wouldn't be too different.

(Cumberland County)

$399 for the 38+P at CDNN. Seems decent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast